Acle Ladies record impressive 6-2 away victory
- Credit: Archant
Acle United Ladies returned from Essex with all three points on Sunday after defeating previously unbeaten Writtle 6-2.
The visitors went ahead after five minutes when a quick interchange of passes between Larkins and Holden saw the ball fed to Todd, whose cross was smashed home by Cooper.
Four minutes later, Acle doubled their lead. A poor clearance by the Writtle keeper was picked up by Holden who, seeing the keeper off her line, lobbed the ball into an empty goal from 25 yards.
On the half-hour mark, Kindred was bundled over with on the right of the Writtle penalty-area and Larkins’ free-kick was forced home by Todd to give Acle a deserved 3-0 lead.
Just before the break, Fullbrook made an excellent save, tipping over a header from close range.
In their first attack of the second half, Bullard shot wide from Todd’s cross after the latter had been put away down the wing by Cooper.
From the goal-kick, Holden played a high ball to the edge of the penalty-area and after receiving the clearance back, lobbed the home keeper from 25 yards to give Acle a four-goal cushion.
- 1 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 2 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 3 Work begins on £3m Great Yarmouth council flats development
- 4 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
- 5 Vets expanding to garage site amid surge in new animal owners
- 6 Your chance to run a takeaway pitch on Gorleston seafront
- 7 Great Yarmouth Pride march postponed amid council criticism
- 8 Man stopped by police while driving day after admitting he had no licence
- 9 5 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in Great Yarmouth
- 10 Norfolk police officer goes on the run to win £100,000 on Hunted
With 30 minutes remaining, the hosts reduced the deficit. Cooper cut out a cross and conceded a corner and from the set-piece Writtle headed home. Shortly afterwards, a good move involving Cooper, Flatt and Todd saw Birchall put clear on goal but the Acle striker shot straight at the keeper before heading just wide from a cross by Flatt.
Ten minutes from time Pasque, pushing forward, was fouled 30 yards from goal and Birchall stepped up and placed the free-kick into the top corner to restore Acle’s four goal lead. Five minutes later, the visitors scored a carbon copy goal, Pasque once again fouled and Birchall planting the set-piece into the Writtle goal.
In added time, Writtle pulled a goal back after Hooper was beaten at her near post, but it was Acle who collected all three points to keep the pressure on the top two in the league.
Acle United Ladies: C Fullbrook, A Larkins, O Mungham-Gray, B Scully, C Shields, K Pasque, M Todd, C Flatt, L Holden, R Burton, N Cooper. Subs all used: J Hooper, L Bullard, K Kindred, J Copeman, G Birchall.
This Sunday, the Ladies are on the road again travelling to AFC Kempston to face Bedford, kick-off 2pm