Acle Ladies take another big step towards promotion
- Credit: Archant
A hard-fought victory over Royston Town saw Acle United Ladies extend their winning league run to six games.
They now need seven points from their remaining three games to secure promotion to the FAWPL.
Acle dominated the early stages and Todd had a goal disallowed for offside after being put through by Wells.
Todd was causing problems for the away defence with her direct running and a long ball played on by Pasque saw her shot go just wide of the target.
However, on 20 minutes and against the run of play, the Crows stunned the hosts by taking the lead. Rowland lost possession in midfield and a speculative shot from around 25 yards caught Hooper off her line and dipped just under the bar.
You may also want to watch:
Despite this reverse, Acle continued to push forward and the pressure finally paid off nine minutes before the break when Todd outpaced the defence and fired home from 18 yards.
Acle dominated the early stages after the restart and 10 minutes in deservedly took the lead. Ladbrooke received a through ball and was bundled over in the penalty area and the Acle midfielder brushed herself off to fire home an unstoppable penalty.
- 1 Beach and dunes depleted by 'massive forces' as high tides hit
- 2 'We will have to work at it' - mixed reaction as Great Yarmouth in tier 2
- 3 'I think it's pretty fair' - Great Yarmouth people react to Tier 2 announcement
- 4 Woman's third bid to have guesthouse converted into HMO rejected
- 5 What does tier two mean for you? Step-by-step guide to new rules
- 6 Furious villagers claim chicken farm was approved 'under the radar'
- 7 'Magna Carta is no defence' - Man caught fishing illegally on Broads
- 8 Construction of £26m Marina Centre to begin in coming weeks
- 9 Hospital death toll from Covid-19 passes 150
- 10 Bid for 33 homes approved as councillors rebel against recommendation
Midway through the half Scully, who had replaced Wells, sent in a dangerous cross which Ladbrooke was just unable to connect with and then Ladbrooke fed Todd, but her strike curled just wide of the far post.
Bullard, on for the hard-working Burton, doubled Acle’s lead after picking up a loose ball and shooting across the keeper into the far corner of the goal. Just a minute later the visitors reduced the lead direct from a free-kick but Acle saw the game out to take another big step towards promotion.
Acle United Ladies: J Hooper, A Larkins, L Goodfield, C Shields, L McGuire, A Rowland, A Ladbrooke, K Pasque (B Knights 85), M Todd, R Burton (L Bullard 71), J Wells (B Scully 56).
This Sunday, the Ladies have the return game at Royston (2pm) followed by a rare midweek game at Histon (8pm).
Acle Rangers FC’s annual dinner dance and presentation evening is at the Top of The Terrace, Carrow Road, on Friday, May 14. Tickets, including travel, are £25 per head for a three-course meal and dancing to Beat Deluxe. For tickets ring chairman Colin Tovell on 07860 186033 or secretary Adam Faulkes on 07775 331099.