Acle Ladies through to first round proper of Women’s FA Cup
- Credit: Archant
Acle United Ladies advanced into the first round proper of the Women’s FA Cup after defeating Peterborough Northern Star 3-1 on Sunday.
They now have a trip to FAWPL side Stevenage to look forward to.
Early pressure by the visitors saw Todd force a save out of the Star keeper from Scully’s free-kick while the hosts’ main form of attack was long balls.
Northern Star almost took the lead after quarter of an hour when a snap shot from a clearance just cleared the bar.
At the other end Kindred was just unable to get on the end of a Flatt pass.
Acle deservedly took the lead three minutes later.
Pasque won a tackle just in the Star half and advanced before playing the ball to Kindred who rounded the home keeper before shooting into an unguarded goal.
- 1 Seaside bar taken over for three weeks by Hollywood crew shooting film
- 2 Roadworks will see a Gorleston road closed for three months
- 3 Mayor left waiting as cruise ship can not dock at Yarmouth due to winds
- 4 Investigations continue after body part of man found on Yarmouth beach
- 5 7 delicious places to eat in Great Yarmouth's Regent Road
- 6 Cyclists embark on challenge from Gorleston to London
- 7 The seven cheapest streets in Great Yarmouth
- 8 Great Yarmouth roadworks expected to be finished by the end of the month
- 9 £65,000 of improvements will see Gorleston street closed for six weeks
- 10 'Revolutionary' cancer test trial to begin in Great Yarmouth
The visitors continued to push forward and Pasque was just unable to latch onto a Scully free-kick as Acle looked to extend their lead. However on 28 minutes Acle’s pressure paid off. Larkins’ free-kick was chased down by Rowland and the midfielder’s shot from an acute angle went in off the keeper.
The final attack of the first half saw Shields play the ball wide to Bullard, whose attempted chip was gathered by the home keeper as Acle went into the break with a healthy 2-0 lead.
As expected, it was the hosts who pushed forwarded in the early stages of the second half although they rarely threatened the Acle goal.
Bullard spurned a good chance for the visitors, shooting straight at the keeper, before Kindred saw her shot graze the post after receiving the ball from Todd.
A cross-cum-shot on 67 minutes by a Star substitute caught out Fullbrook to reduce the deficit and shortly afterwards a cross evaded the away defence, but the home player fired over from eight yards.
With 15 minutes remaining, Acle restored their two-goal advantage. A good move involving Scully, Rowland and Burton saw the latter thread the ball to Todd who outpaced her marker and fired home into the top corner from 15 yards.
Acle Ladies: C Fullbrook, A Larkins, O Mungham-Gray, C Flatt, C Shields, K Pasque, M Todd, B Scully, K Kindred, A Rowland, L Bullard. Subs both used: R Burton, J Copeman.
On Sunday, the Ladies have a local derby against Lowestoft Town at Crown Meadow (2pm).