Acle lose a match they mightg easily have won
- Credit: EDP / Archant © 2004
Acle United slumped to a defeat at Hellesdon in yet another match that they deserved to take something from.
Foreman elected to play up the slope and against the wind, and it was the Acle skipper that was called into action first as he gathered a stinging shot.
Forder, restored to the team after a three-week suspension, worked his way into the box but was slow to get his shot away.
A deep cross from the Hellesdon winger was headed goalwards by Hurrell but Foreman saved well. Hurrell was again in the action as a quick free kick saw him clip the ball over the bar.
An end to end game was pretty even but midway through the first half Acle gave away a cheap free kick, and Love was first to react, bursting into the box and from an acute angle finding the back of the net.
Taylor was replaced by Crane as Acle dominated possession and following a number of corners Garner stepped up from 35 yards to smash his free-kick into the top corner of the net for an equaliser.
After the break Acle spurned a really good opportunity when Drake crossed to Peacock only for his header to go straight at the keeper.
- 1 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 2 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
- 3 Rollesby mum shares heartbreak after death of her seven-year-old daughter
- 4 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 5 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 6 Tributes to 'wonderful' school head who loved to see children learn
- 7 Work begins on £3m Great Yarmouth council flats development
- 8 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 9 Crews called to collapsed walker on remote Norfolk Broads' path
- 10 Pleasure Beach to hold fireworks spectacular for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
Peacock was difficult to contain for the Hellesdon rearguard as he beat two men before being dispossessed inside the six-yard box. Peacock once again broke free but opted for a shot on goal when the pullback was the much better option.
The best move of the game saw Forder find Peacock who played in Drake who shot over the bar. Acle were now in search of the winner and it was man of the match Peacock who played in substitute Harrison who saw his shot kicked off the line.
Keeley then surged down the left for Hellesdon and with little cover got the ball through the legs of Foreman to put his side 2-1 up against the run of play. Then came the goal of the game as Hellesdon again broke quickly, as Charlesworth played in the perfect delivery from the left for Keeley to volley home to seal the points.
Manager Taylor promised another new face or two as the former champions prepare for the proverbial six-pointer as they entertain Reepham Town on Saturday at Bridewell Lane (2pm).
Acle United: S Foreman, T Clark, S Garner, M Hoeppner, C Wiley, J Bibby, S Peacock, C Hudson, R Forder, S Drake, M Taylor. Subs: C Drewek, J Crane, H Tooley.