Acle maintain Sterry Cup challenge
Wells 1 Acle 5
ACLE came away with all three points and earned high praise from their managers Tony Ward and Martyn Sinclair for the way they played and adapted during the second half, despite provacation.
Acle were cruising with a one-goal lead and the referee was looking at his watch for half time when the visitors’ Hipperson waltzed into the hosts’ penalty area only to be floored and stamped on by a Wells central defender who received a straight red card.
This gave cause for the home side to remonstrate.
Play had to be held up for 10 minutes to allow the excellent referee to calm the sides down, during which time he showed another Wells player a red card, writes ROBIN TUNGATE.
You may also want to watch:
The game restarted with Danny Colk keeping his head after the long wait and he cooly put the ball into the corner with the keeper rooted to the spot.
Only the decision by the official to restart the game for the second 45 minutes saved Wells some discomfort from the FA as common sense prevailed. Acle, without Phil Palmer, Daniel Foreman, Ricky Hodds, James Foreman, Harry Maddison and Gareth Palmer pushed forward during the second 45 minutes and scored at regular intervals.
- 1 £250,000 of cannabis found in two cars on A11
- 2 'One of a kind' home with golf simulator and gym is for sale for £795,000
- 3 'Too many holiday homes' - Residents object to conversion bid
- 4 Knifeman threatened to cut victim's throat if he 'grassed'
- 5 Met Office warns of snow at weekend
- 6 Man throws bottle through house window in confrontation
- 7 'Public' swimming pool could have to shut after mystery complaint
- 8 Missing man found safe and well
- 9 Beds occupied by Covid patients at hospital increases five-fold in a month
- 10 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
But all the talk after the game was about the dreadful 10 minutes that was witnessed just before half-time.
Acle’s second half scorers were Nathan Thompson with two, captain Luke Goreham and Danny Colk, who repeated his act of scoring from the spot. Tomorrow Anglian Combination Premier Division title-chasers Acle United host Loddon United (kick-off 2) at Bridewell Lane.