Acle moved up to third after hard-earned win over neighbours
- Credit: Archant
Acle United moved into third position in the Anglian Combination Premier Division after beating local rivals Blofield United on Easter Monday.
The hosts got off to the best possible start, taking the lead after just two minutes, Attree sliding the ball past the Beavers’ keeper after a Sanders dummy.
Blofield then created a good chance to equalise from a quick break, but the strikers’ weak shot was wide.
Both sides were intent on attacking and the game was getting a little feisty, befitting of a local derby. Attree helped on a long ball and Peacock was just beaten to it by the keeper while at the other end S Foreman in the Acle goal saved at the feet of a Blofield striker after a good move down the right flank.
Acle had loud appeals for a penalty waved away by the referee when Faulkes appeared to be bundled over in the area, as the hosts went into the break with a narrow 1-0 lead.
You may also want to watch:
After the break the game became a midfield battle, with neither side testing their opposing keepers.
But after the hour mark Blofield started to dominate proceedings, forcing the hosts to defend deep in their own half. A cross to the far post saw a Blofield striker just fail to steer the ball home and then Foreman saved with his legs after a good flick on pass the home defence.
- 1 Beach and dunes depleted by 'massive forces' as high tides hit
- 2 'We will have to work at it' - mixed reaction as Great Yarmouth in tier 2
- 3 'I think it's pretty fair' - Great Yarmouth people react to Tier 2 announcement
- 4 Woman's third bid to have guesthouse converted into HMO rejected
- 5 Furious villagers claim chicken farm was approved 'under the radar'
- 6 What does tier two mean for you? Step-by-step guide to new rules
- 7 'Magna Carta is no defence' - Man caught fishing illegally on Broads
- 8 Hospital death toll from Covid-19 passes 150
- 9 Bid for 33 homes approved as councillors rebel against recommendation
- 10 Construction of £26m Marina Centre to begin in coming weeks
A good block on the goal-line by Faulkes prevented the visitors from levelling with 15 minutes remaining, before a free-kick sailed just past the Acle far post. At the other end, H Gibbons shot wide after good work from D Foreman and Sandell.
The closing stages saw both sides awarded free-kicks in dangerous positions. D Foreman clipped the Blofield bar with his effort whilst Blofield blazed high over the bar from a rebound off the Acle wall.
The game was made safe in the 88th minute when an own goal from a Gibbons effort secured the points for the home side. The Woolco-UK Ltd man of the match was Hayden Gibbons.
Acle United: S Foreman, L Gibbons, D Foreman, O Stelzer-Hiller, A Faulkes, H Gibbons, S Peacock (H Tooley 81), I Morgan (J Betts 81), J Attree (S Sandell 69), A Sanders, R Forder.
Acle complete their campaign with a trip to Stalham Town on Saturday (2.30pm) followed by a home game on Wednesday against Long Stratton (6.30pm).