Acle Reserves punished after missing from the penalty spot

Danny Colk's penalty is saved by the Wells Town keeper. Picture: Richard Giles

Danny Colk's penalty is saved by the Wells Town keeper. Picture: Richard Giles - Credit: Archant

After last week’s valiant effort the Reserves had another tough game as they entertained Wells Town at Bridewell Lane.

With the return of Perry Kelf, Ben Guyton and Lloyd Sayer the team were strengthened and were feeling positive.

However, it didn’t take long for Wells to take the lead. In the seventh minute a route one ball caught the defence flat-footed, allowing their striker to run through free and stand-in keeper Marshall wasn’t able to repeat his heroics of the previous week.

It took Acle 15 minutes to finally wake up and put pressure on the Wells defence, but it was the visitors who doubled their lead in the 22nd minute.

The hosts were unable to clear their lines from a corner, which has been an Achilles heel this season, and a shot was drilled in from 12 yards as a result of a scramble in the penalty area.

Acle were given a lifeline a minute later when Harrison Tooley pulled one back. Relentless as ever, Tooley chased down the ball, forcing the Wells defender into a mistake.

There were protests from Wells, as it appeared the Acle striker had tripped their player while putting him under pressure.

Most Read

Nevertheless, Tooley’s never-say-die attitude created the opportunity and he made no mistake by calmly placing the ball into the open goal.

Acle had the chance to level 10 minutes before the break when they were awarded a penalty. Winger Sayer was pulled back in the box as he rounded the Wells defender. Captain Colk placed his strike to the keeper’s left but his effort was palmed away to safety.

Acle immediately looked threatening at the start of the second half but they were dealt a killer blow when Kelf was forced off through injury.

The score remained the same until the final seven minutes when Wells’ superior fitness showed and Acle were punished.

Wells’ third goal came from a penalty after Marshall brought down their striker and the game was over shortly after, when they scored their fourth.

Acle Reserves: M Marshall, D Colk, M Copeland, C Leathers, A Collins-Reed, P Kelf, B Robinson, B Guyton, M Hawkins, H Tooley, L Sayer. Subs all used: A Carpenter, T Eadie, E Pitchers.

The Reserves continue their battle against relegation on Saturday when Poringland Wanderers visit Bridewell Lane (2.30pm).