Acle’s Men’s C team on the verge of landing the league title
- Credit: James Bass
Acle’s Mens A were given a sound beating away to Norfolk Bowling Club, losing 7-0, 101-64 and top spot in the league.
On Sunday the A team played County Arts at home. Will Pitt, Dan Mills, Simon Elliott and Jamie Howlett won 29-18 and Mark Elliott, Roy Himpleman, Dan Ramsbottom and Jason Roope won 23-14. George Tubby’s rink, in a close finish, lost 17-19. Ian Wones rink, in another close finish, lost 18-23. Result 87-74 and 5-2 points.
The Mens C continued their run with a 122-shot win, with captain Mick Askham winning 53-1 and a 6-1 win tomorrow at Browston will earn them the league title.
Richard Hayton, Derrick Willgress, Brian Hearn and Mick Askham went from 37-1 at 15, in that 53-1 win. Jeff Chedwidden, Mick Crow, Colin Starkings and Alan Jones won 45-7 and Richard Pope, Barry McGrath, Peter Evans and John Lettice won 36-7. David Wise, David Airey, Ken Scott-Greenard and Alan Kendall won 21-18 for 155-33 and seven points.
This year has proved to be successful ever for Acle players as 15 are going to represent Norfolk in national finals.
Sheila Stacey, Gwyn Xuereb, Elaine Cole and Marion Himpleman play in the ladies fours at Melton on March this weekend and Jamie Howlett, Daniel Ramsbottom, Ian Wones and George Tubby play in the mens fours.
The ladies pairs on March 29/30 has Melanie Haylett and Barbara Meeks and Ian Wones with George Tubby in the mens pairs. March 31/April 1 has Daniel Seabourne in the singles.
- 1 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 2 Rollesby mum shares heartbreak after death of her seven-year-old daughter
- 3 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 4 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
- 5 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 6 Tributes to 'wonderful' school head who loved to see children learn
- 7 Crews called to collapsed walker on remote Norfolk Broads' path
- 8 Work begins on £3m Great Yarmouth council flats development
- 9 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 10 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
In the mens two-bowl singles Mark Elliott is at Nottingham on April 7. David Cole, Paul Webb and Tony Dunton are in the Over 50s triples and Jenny Kirby, Melanie Haylett and Barbara Meeks in the over 50s ladies triples at Nottingham on April 10/11.
In the ladies over 60s pairs Sheila Stacey and Barbara Meeks play at Nottingham on April 12/13 and Jenny Kirby plays in the Over 60s singles on April 14/15.
The family pairs sees Daniel and Tony Seabourne at Nottingham on April 15/16. April 19/23 is the National Indoor Federation finals at Newark and in the mixed pairs Jenny Kirby is with Dan Mills and with Sheila Stacey are in the ladies pairs. The mens triples has Daniel Seabourne, Daniel Ramsbottom and Ian Wones and the ladies triples Sheila Stacey, Jenny Kirby and Marion Himpleman.