Acle team's double joy

PUBLISHED: 10:02 16 May 2008 | UPDATED: 09:15 11 May 2010

Cup winners Acle United Reserves

Cup winners Acle United Reserves

Acle United Reserves beat North Walsham Reserves in the final of the C S Morley Knock-Out Cup, the trophy so harshly denied them 12 months earlier at the same venue.

Acle United Reserves beat North Walsham Reserves in the final of the C S Morley Knock-Out Cup, the trophy so harshly denied them 12 months earlier at the same venue. They then capped a fine season by winning promotion.

Those promotion hopes were given a huge lift by the all-action display of their captain and central-midfielder in the cup final, played at Trafford Park, Wroxham.

Paul Rose sparked a joyous night of celebration with a goal worthy of any game and good enough to win his side the league's reserve knock-out cup.

Acle's hopes were left on a knife edge after squandering several good chances to gain the upper hand against their more experienced opponents until the midfielder belted home a brilliant curling effort after going past three defenders on his way into the penalty area to get on the end of an excellent ball from Read.

Read pushed a neat ball into the path of Rose, which left Alexander for dead, but from then it was all about Rose. His first touch was a delight, bamboozling Reeves and Rudd, then from about 10 yards out he took aim and curled a superb right-foot shot into the top corner.

Clarke sent a brilliant header from a Gray centre into Curtis's area but found Acle's keeper equal to the task. Bland found himself in some good positions but was unlucky with his final efforts.

Mick Grady's side looked to have pocketed a valuable and deserved victory, but then the jitters set in and goalkeeper Curtis had to display all his range of skills to keep his side in front.

But he was fortunate when, with time running, out Walsham were awarded a penalty by the linesman, but Reeves saw his thunderous spot-kick come back off the bar and Acle scrambled the ball to safety.

Acle Reserves rounded off their season by gaining the solitary point they needed to achieve promotion to Division Two from a goalless draw against a good Sprowston side who will be disappointed not to have taken all three points against hosts who were still in celebratory mood after lifting their cup win.

Hero of the cup final, captain Rose, was the victim of a high tackle that brought no retribution from the referee after only two minutes' play, meaning United missed his energetic play from the central midfield position.

As the hosts played out the second half they had the luxury of a goal from a corner that the official disallowed, and Acle saw a penalty by Arron Kay brilliantly saved by the visitors' keeper.

Everything Sprowston threw at Acle was adequately dealt with by Curtis, who gave another faultless performance in goal.

Robin Tungate

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Great Yarmouth Mercury. Click the link in the yellow box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Great Yarmouth Mercury