Acle United dumped out of Norfolk Senior Cup after second half turnaround
- Credit: Archant
Acle United were dumped out of the Norfolk Senior Cup after suffering a 2-1 home defeat at the hands of Wymondham Town.
Manager Rob Taylor reflected that the rebuilding process was well on the way, but their opponents were a good side and could surprise others in the competition.
On a lovely surface, but without both first team strikers, the A’s looked good in the early exchanges. However, it was the visitors who created the first real chance when the ball smacked against the bar with Foreman well beaten.
The young Acle side were playing some neat football, with Hudson impressing and new boy Hoeppner settling in well at the back. They took the lead when Drewek was first to react in the box to put the ball away in front of another good crowd.
The match was punctuated by a number of cautions issued by the referee who kept control well as the teams turned around with United holding a slender advantage.
After the break Wymondham took control of possession and when Acle failed to clear the danger on the edge of the box, Moriaty equalised when shooting low into the far corner.
Worse was to follow as a cheap free-kick was given away and Nixon’s wind-assisted effort found the top corner from 30 yards to put Wymondham 2-1 in front.
- 1 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 2 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 3 Rollesby mum shares heartbreak after death of her seven-year-old daughter
- 4 From schools to shops: All you need to know about living in Gorleston
- 5 Landlord finds 20 rabbits abandoned at home after tenants move out
- 6 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 7 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
- 8 Crews called to collapsed walker on remote Norfolk Broads' path
- 9 Tributes to 'wonderful' school head who loved to see children learn
- 10 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
All three substitutes were used by Acle as they worked hard to try to send the game into extra-time but their more physical opponents just about deserved to be in tonight’s draw for last 16.
With potentially more additions to the squad, both strikers available for the next game and with three important home league games to come on the bounce, manager Taylor is hopeful of soon moving away from the bottom of the league.
Acle: S Foreman, C Wiley, S Garner, T Clark, M Hoeppner, Josh Malin, J Bibby, J Malin, C Drewek, R Forder, C Hudson. Subs all used: L Gibbons, B Guyton, H Tooley.
Tomorrow Acle entertain Wroxham Reserves at Bridewell Lane (2pm). After a week’s inactivity the Reserves travel to Blue Boar Lane to play Sprowston Athletic (2pm).
The Ladies had their game postponed last Sunday as Lowestoft Town were unable to raise a side. This Sunday, the Ladies welcome Royston Town to The FDC at Flegg High School (2pm).