Acle United recover from 3-0 first half deficit to pick up a point
- Credit: Archant
Acle United produced a fine second half performance to come back from a 3-0 down to claim a share of the points against a Beccles side who had beaten them 5-1 in the cup just two weeks ago.
Manager Robert Taylor introduced four new signings and despite an early kick off a good sized Bridewell Lane crowd were there to see the rematch.
The visitors went ahead on 15 minutes when the impressive Billy Shaw outpaced Sly to put the ball in the net. Ten minutes later he again found himself in space to draw Foreman before slotting the ball home to double the lead.
Town looked the sharper side across the park and it was no surprise when they took advantage of some poor defending as Acle failed to clear their lines from a corner to go 3-0 up when Godbold shot into the top corner.
However in the second half the A’s looked a completely different team, spurred on by the inspirational Ricky Forder, no doubt with a few choice words ringing in the ears of the players from their new manager.
Sly was replaced in the centre of defence, and with Crane making his debut the home side forced Town back in their own half.
Drake was everywhere for the former champions, and when he nutmegged his marker to set up Forder a goal looked certain but his shot crashed off the underside of the bar with the crowd claiming a goal.
- 1 Landlord finds 20 rabbits abandoned at home after tenants move out
- 2 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 3 From schools to shops: All you need to know about living in Gorleston
- 4 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 5 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 6 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 7 Rollesby mum shares heartbreak after death of her seven-year-old daughter
- 8 Driver caught at speeds of nearly 100mph also found to have no licence
- 9 Crews called to collapsed walker on remote Norfolk Broads' path
- 10 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in Norfolk
In the 70th minute United deservedly pulled one back when, following a corner, the ball came off a Beccles defender and found the back of the net. Forder was again pulling the strings, and after clever play pulled the ball back for Drake to hammer the ball into an empty net.
It was all Acle now as players poured forward in search of an equaliser. Crane was upended just outside the box but Garner’s free-kick hit the wall.
With just 10 minutes left, that man Forder played in Peacock who pulled the ball back for 17-year-old Cameron Hudson to rifle home to complete a stirring comeback.
Acle United: S Foreman, T Clark, S Garner, C Sly, C Wiley, B Guyton, S Waite, R Forder, S Drake, S Peacock, C Hudson. Subs used: J Malin, J Crane. Unused: W Gomes.
Acle are without a fixture on Saturday and return to action on October 7 with a local derby at Blofield United (2.30pm).