Acle United round off campaign with a goalless draw
- Credit: Archant
Acle United completed their league programme with a goalless draw against Long Stratton at Bridewell Lane.
The home side made seven changes to Saturday’s line-up, which included Cannon starting in goal and places for Tooley, McCabe, Sandell and Deivydas.
In blustery conditions, there was a scrappy start and the first real attempt on goal was a header by Faulkes from a Forder free-kick.
As the half progressed, it was the visitors who started to gain the upper hand. McCabe deflected a shot for a corner, which saw a header just go over the bar and in their next attack, Long Stratton had a shot well wide when in a good position.
A quick break from Acle saw Tooley have a shot blocked, with the hosts mainly consigned to counter-attacks as they soaked up the visitors’ pressure. The final attack of the half came from the hosts with McCabe shooting just wide after the ball had been laid back by Forder.
H Gibbons replaced Wiley for the second half and it was the hosts who created the first chance. Attree received a long ball and crossed to Forder whose shot was just wide, but it was the visitors who came the closest to breaking the deadlock in the 51st minute. A quick break put the striker through on goal, but Cannon pulled off a good save, with L Gibbons clearing the rebound.
Attree was causing problems for the visitors and he headed on to Forder, whose shot was blocked.
- 1 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 2 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
- 3 Work begins on £3m Great Yarmouth council flats development
- 4 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 5 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 6 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 7 Pleasure Beach to hold fireworks spectacular for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 Man stopped by police while driving day after admitting he had no licence
- 9 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 10 'Spectacular' parade of horses to celebrate Queen's Jubilee on Golden Mile
With 25 minutes remaining, only a fine fingertip save to keep out Forder’s shot prevented the hosts from taking the lead, whilst at the other end McCabe blocked a shot after a good flowing move across the pitch by the visitors.
Sanders and then D Foreman were introduced in the closing stages as the home side went in search for the winner but it was the visitors who had two efforts wide and then blocked.
In the dying minutes, Acle had loud appeals for a penalty turned down after claiming the ball had been handled by a defender, as the sides each gained a point from the game.
Acle United: S Cannon, L Gibbons, C Wiley (H Gibbons 46), O Stelzer-Hiller, A Faulkes (D Foreman 80), J McCabe, Deivydas (A Sanders 72), R Forder, J Attree, H Tooley, S Sandell.
Acle United end their 2016-17 season with the Mummery Cup final clash against Mulbarton Wanderers tonight at The FDC Bowthorpe (7.15pm).