Ager own goal sets Great Yarmouth Town on road to defeat
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
The Bloaters took to the road again to face a Stanway side who had won their previous five matches.
The visitors would have been encouraged by the performance in midweek at high-flying Stowmarket but another player shortage meant that another re-shuffle was required.
With Palmer and Ford on Norfolk Under-18 duty, Ollie Savage returned as did Lee Roots. Skipper Andersen resumed his new found role in centre midfield and there was a place on the bench for young starlet Kieran Hagan.
The club was again were grateful to Josh Glover for travelling up from Kent to deputise for the injured Jack Whatmough.
The Bloaters started well and Sanders almost connected with a Glover free-kick before a long cross into the visitors’ goalmouth found Gelashvili who hit the post with a shot from a tight angle.
You may also want to watch:
The visitors were then grateful to Glover as he collected a volley from Gelashvili and a shot on the turn by Dunne.
A tight first half, edged by the Bloaters, featured lots of good midfield play by both sides but with both defences on top.
- 1 Family devastated after death of much-loved and well-known horse
- 2 Norfolk beach ranked among world's top tourist attractions
- 3 Acrobats and falcons wow crowds at the Out There Festival
- 4 Do you recognise this man?
- 5 Sisters realise late parents' dream by opening coffee shop
- 6 'It's a big pain' - Third river crossing work leaves businessman frustrated
- 7 Out There Festival 2021 begins today
- 8 Trainee probation officer shared intimate photos with convicted murderer
- 9 'I'm totally shocked' - metal railings stolen from Gorleston home
- 10 Inquest date set for Gorleston woman found on beach
The second half started well for the visitors as the impressive Ben Lewis brushed off challenges before finding Savage galloping down the left wing and his cross almost caught the back-pedalling goalkeeper out as he tipped the ball over the bar.
In the 58th minute a dangerous inswinging corner to the back post was unfortunately headed into his own net by Adie Ager to give the home side the lead.
The hosts now were looking dangerous every time they went forward as the Bloaters struggled to get back into the game.
With 15 minutes left some excellent play by Joe Heron found Romario Dunne in space and he fired in a shot from inside the area to make it two for the home side.
Now full of confidence the home side began to stretch the visitors as they found holes in the Bloaters’ half, with the visitors having committed more players forward in an attempt to get back in the game. Glover made two good saves to deny Gelashvili and Heron while only Ager’s shot after a corner threatened the home goal in the latter stages.
Great Yarmouth Town: Glover, Howell, Savage, Andersen, Ager, J Forbes, Roots, Lewis, M Forbes, Sanders, Davis. Subs: Hagan, Mcara, Bond.