Agony as Catfield fall short in Carrow Road final bid

Pub on the Shrubs Great Yarmouth & District League

After a two-week break Catfield bounced straight back into action with a Norfolk Junior Cup semi-final at Harleston of the Anglian Combination with a Carrow Road final the reward for the victors.

Catfield could barely have had a worse first 45 minutes against an Anglian Combination Division Two side who were clearly fitter on the day.

Within two minutes the home side went ahead when a diagonal ball was not dealt with and a striker finished calmly beyond Guest.

Thompson then forced a smart save from the home keeper. It was 2-0 on 10 minutes with a free header from a corner into the roof of the net.

This set the tone for the visitors for the rest of the half. Minutes later it was 3-0 and again another corner not dealt with was prodded home. Catfield pulled themselves back in the tie when Nicholls somehow forced the ball in at the far post.

Catfield’s normally reliable defence though was exposed soon after and again a setpiece was not dealt with and the ball was forced home from close range. And on 40 minutes the agony was compounded when again a corner was played in and despite the first ball being cleared the second ball was not picked up and Guest was given no chance.

Most Read

Nicholls though again gave Catfield something to build on with a penalty.

Credit to the visitors though for a spirited second half and within a minute it was 5-3.

The game then entered a stalemate period for half an hour with Catfield on two occasions failing to find the net from close range.

It was 5-4 with five minutes left with Lee Knell tapping home.

Controversially, in the final minute when through he was upended with referee David Jewell pointing clearly to the spot.

However after consultation with the linesman he decided to award a free kick on the edge of the box.

When this was cleared the whistle blew and it was Harleston who advanced to the Junior Cup final.

Haven Bridge’s Norfolk Primary Cup semi-final meanwhile was postponed bizarrely owing to the visitors Discovery Royals, who did not turn up citing engine failure.

The rematch will take place tomorrow on the Beaconsfield (2) and any support will be appreciated.

In the Pub on the Shrubs Division One Belton kept up their challenge for the title with a late Kristian Gowing goal at GY International.

This week they face Catfield in the Wiltshire Cup with the winners to visit Haven Bridge in the semi-finals on March 17.

MK United meanwhile picked up an impressive 4-2 win away to a good Caister CC side on the Beaconsfield and GY United made it two wins on the bounce this time with a 5-2 win against an in-form Bohemians at Halvergate to go fourth.

In Division Two Caister Roma kept up their hopes with a tough 2-1 win at Prostar Windows.

MK United Reserves also kept faint chances alive with a resounding 7-2 win at home to Filby and Runham while Caister A won convincingly against a nine-man Martham A at Allendale,

In the HA Holmes League Cup Group Two, Albion collected three points with a 5-1 win at GY Peelers.

The two teams meet again this week for a place in the quarter-finals of the Percy Nockolds Trophy.

The winners will face a trip to Prostar Windows.

The other match sees Filby and Runham entertain Bohemians for a place in the semi-finals after the withdrawal of Norfolk and Chance.

These two matches, plus the Wiltshire Cup match, are all extra time and replay if needed - Ryan Starkey.