Around the cricket grounds

CAISTER went to Shipdham in Norfolk League Division One looking to make it three wins in a row. With only 10 men they produced a great winning team performance.

CAISTER went to Shipdham in Norfolk League Division One looking to make it three wins in a row. With only 10 men they produced a great winning team performance.

Sims, the skipper and opening strike bowler were missing plus a couple of other regulars. Shipdham won the toss and decided to take first use of what looked to be a good batting track.

Staggles and Hammond made a steady start but in the seventh over Hammond holed out to wide second slip. Cator went the first ball of Myhill's spell for 15, 48-2. Ellis and Staggles started to really build the innings.

Caister had to wait until 148 before Staggles was caught behind off R Brown, making a fine 79.

The opening attack of Bartram and Tennant returned to finish the innings, Shipdham finishing on 214-5, their highest total of the season.

Caister's Stokes dismissed for a duck. Rob Brown and Lamming set about repairing the damage. With the score on 86 Brown played over the top of a full delivery and was bowled after just passing a very fine 50.

Most Read

Johnson suffered a golden duck with his new bat. Lamming took over the scoring but on 43 he also fell to Ellis, who took all three batsman bowled with the full delivery.

Paul Brown and Myhill set about getting Caister close to a challenging target. A fine performance from this pair, putting on 83 for the fifth wicket, Brown run out for 35 and Myhill an excellent 42, also run out.

Tennant and Bartram saw Caister home with three balls to spare. An excellent bowling spell from this final pair topped off by them seeing Caister home.

ROLLESBYA entertained a Happisburgh A went to Rollesby looking for their first victory of the season in Norfolk League Division Six. And they ended Rolesby's unbeaten start to the season.

They won the toss and asked the hosts to bat first on a greenish looking pitch.

Against a tight opening attack Rollesby were soon in trouble, losing their first wicket in only the third over when Fakes (4) was caught off the bowling of Voisey.

Price (9) soon followed, also caught off Voisey. Websdale then joined Catchpole in the middle and together they put together a very good partnership of 81, before Websdale (25) was next out, caught off the bowling of Page.

Catchpole (65) was continuing his excellent start to the season, before being the fourth batsman out with

the score on 117 becoming Andrews' first victim of the day.

This appeared to be a good launch pad for Rollesby to progress, however, Payne (1) was the fifth man out with the score on 123, being caught of the bowling of Cousins.

This then signalled the infamous Rollesby collapse, with the last five wickets falling for two runs, with Happisburgh's S Andrews claiming a hat-trick, Barnden (3), Gerdes (0) and Ryles (0) being the victims.

The last two wickets to fall were Clarke (0) and Pearce (0) both off the bowling of Andrews, leaving England (nought not out ) stranded without any further partners.

Rollesby closed on 125 all out, having lost their last six wickets for the addition of only two runs.

Happisburgh began their run chase in a positive fashion, with Voisey and Breeze being particularly harsh on anything short. In order to stem the flow of runs and to try to take a wicket, Rollesby were switching their bowlers around.

The breakthrough did not come until the 16th over with the score on 93, Voisey (52) trying one big shot too many, played across the line and was lbw to Price. His fellow opener Breeze (42) was next to depart, nudging a catch to Fakes off the bowling of Catchpole with the score on 108.

Mash (14 not out) and Trivett (3 not out) saw the visitors home by eight wickets reaching their victory target of 126 in only the 26th over.

Filby King's Head Man of the Match: S Andrews (Happisburgh A) for his six wicket haul including a hat-trick.

WINTERTON A won the toss and asked Norwich Union A to bat on a dry patchy pitch in Norfolk League Division Four.

The boys put in a sterling bowling performance backed up by some sharp fielding and some fine wicketkeeping from the returning Pip Powles, who took two fine catches as the bowlers shared the wickets.

Debutant Tom Crowhurst had a fine spell of 3-21 There were three wickets apiece for Marks Hambrook and Holdsworth. Winterton made hard work of taking the last wicket which put on 37 runs.

Enter the Norwich opening bowlers Spaxman and Andrews who took early wickets with the new ball.

No batsman was comfortable against the pace, swing and accuracy of these two and apart from the admirable Powles, (21), no other player reached double figures. A disappointing batting performance - all out for 60.

Fisherman's Return MoM: Pip Powles.

BLUNDESTON played Great Melton C on a firm UEA wicket in Norfolk League Division Seven.

Howard and Sharma looked to build a solid start until Elliot Gooch made the breakthrough and took the return catch to dismiss the talented Sharma.

This left the young middle order exposed and wickets fell steadily, to first Elliot and then one each to Nick Mobbs and Martin Talbot.

A sixth-wicket partnership developed between Burton and Ducker until Burton was deceived by the wily Burgess' slower ball. Further wickets fell to Burgess and Saurabh Verma, before it was left in true opening bowler style for Gooch to clean up the tail to get his first five-wicket haul of the season to finish with 5-20 and easily take the bowling honours.

Melton finished on 129 with the patient Mally Howard top scoring with 24.

In reply, Nick Mobbs and skipper Talbot were harsh on anything loose to give Blundeston a fast start, but Mobbs perished at the fourth attempt after being caught by Mally Howard off Sam Fryer.

Elliot then joined his skipper and found the boundary regularly as the target was reached in the 28th over with Graeme Talbot on 41 and Elliot on 39.

A fine display by all the bowlers but fielding must improve as at times we are a bit lapse. The batsmen weren't bad either.

Next game v Garboldisham at home.

SOUTH Walsham enjoyed a tremendous victory over Happisburgh by two runs in a 40 over friendly.

Openers Andy Scales and Dave Watkins got Walsham off to a steady start against tight Happisburgh bowling and added 104 runs before Scales fell caught and bowled to M Trivett for 51.

Watkins was then caught on the boundary in the next over for 50. But the middle order all contributed with Neil Johnson, Keiran Robinson and Jon Moore all passing the 20 mark to lift Walsham's score to 204-5.

After tea, opening bowlers Paul Woods and Garth Futter kept it very tight in the first eight overs when only 19 runs were scored. Skipper Woods introduced youngster Dan Scales into the attack and he immediately had Ivan Andrews caught for three.

Peck and Catchpole moved the score on to beyond 50 when Catchpole fell for 33, well caught by Garth Futter on the boundary off Stuart Mallett.

All the Happisburgh players got in but steady Walsham bowling kept them in check.

Peck went for 40 bowled by Futter and with 49 off six overs required Woods turned to Jack Belton and Andy Scales for the final six overs.

Belton was hit for six off his first two balls but kept his line to bowl the dangerous Allen for an excellent 50 and then followed up having Stone caught for 17.

Scales, at the other end, had Mash stumped and with just one over to go 14 were required.

A few quick singles and a six left Happisburgh requiring three from the last ball for victory, but they failed to score of the last ball.

Upton White Horse MoM: Andy Scales, top scoring and good little spell of bowling.