Around the rugby grounds

Broadland-Great Yarmouth 24, Felixstowe 12BROADLAND-Great Yarmouth managed a comprehensive win over a side which battled hard in the early stages before the Great Yarmouth team played some expansive rugby to seal a well-earned victory.

Broadland-Great Yarmouth 24, Felixstowe 12

BROADLAND-Great Yarmouth managed a comprehensive win over a side which battled hard in the early stages before the Great Yarmouth team played some expansive rugby to seal a well-earned victory.

Broadland were taken aback by some forceful attacking play from the visitors, who took the lead with a converted try. From a lineout five meters from the Felixstowe line Adam Towfighi took a clean catch and the forwards drove forward with hooker Rye Bilyard diving over to score, unconverted.

Following some excellent running from Simon Ruddick, Broadland launched an attack culminating with wing Joe Payne going over for a score, converted Ledgerwood.

Lock Royce Chiddle provided a devastating run through the middle of the Felixstowe pack. With the ball recycled quickly, Payne broke wide, was pulled down short of the line but a quick pick-up and drive from lock Sam French saw Broadland score their third for 17-7 at the half.

Broadland brought on a string of replacements. Penalty kicks were not converted to points. Felixstowe's fly half broke for a score, though this was matched minutes later as James Doggett read play perfectly to pick off an interception and go in untouched (converted Ledgerwood). Tries: Bilyard, Payne, French, Doggett. Conversions: Ledgerwood 2 of 4. Penalties: Ledegerwood 0 of 2.

Most Read

Tomorrow Broadland-Great Yarmouth travel to play Harwich and Dovercourt in the league.

Upminster 16, Lowestoft & Yarmouth 9

L&Y appeared to take two steps back as they put in a woeful performance against a side struggling to find form.

It didn't help that L&Y had to play for 20 minutes with 14 men as both Josh Fewkes and Marc Thomas were sin binned.

After 10 minutes scrum half Chez Bloxham had to leave the field through injury. Man of the match Scott Nelson put over a penalty from the halfway line for the visitors to take a three-point lead. This was soon followed by another well struck Nelson penalty, this time from 40 yards out. With conditions making handling difficult the only other highlight of the first half was another Nelson penalty to give L&Y a nine-point lead.

Upminster soon cut in to the lead with two penalties and were then gifted the first try of the match as the visitors' defence just crumbled. L&Y came close to retaking the lead when they were awarded a rare penalty but this time Nelson sent it just wide. With time running out and L&Y lacking any ideas, Upminster once again carved through to score.

Thetford 2nd XV 16, Broadland-Gt Yarmouth 2nd XV (Tigers) 0

THE Tigers were met by some hard driving play. They answered this with some stout defence.

Thetford converted a penalty in front of the posts. The Tigers redoubled their efforts to pin Thetford into their own 22-metre area, but could not get the final pass away to score. During this phase of play the Tigers lost winger Beagrie through injury. Having no backs available on the bench, Calnon jnr moved to the wing whilst Calnon snr came into the pack. Tigers' strong tackling kept the home side from scoring, Thetford again converted a penalty.

The second half saw both sides battling it out in the centre of the pitch. Then a loose pass from the Tigers allowed Thetford to score a try. Again the Tigers took the game to Thetford using their driving play at last to punch holes in the Thetford defence, but the final pass was still out of reach. From a lineout Thetford set up their backs for the final score of the game, a try.

Fourteen Norfolk high schools took part in the new Norfolk Emerging Schools U13 rugby tournament at Broadland-Great Yarmouth Rugby Club. The event was part of the RFU's initiative to get more schools playing rugby and playing more balanced competitions.

Six schools were giving their pupils their first taste of competitive rugby.

The Broadland-Great Yarmouth club were the perfect hosts, providing tea and coffee for staff, well prepared pitches and several members of the coaching team to help with organisation and refereeing.

The winners of the shield event were City of Norwich High School who beat The Park School in a tight final. The winners of the trophy event were Wymondham High School who beat KES in the final.