Axe falls on Yarmouth players’ cash

Yarmouth Town manager Mike Derbyshire’s huge task has become even tougher after a decision to cut the playing budget which leaves players playing only for pride.

“I met the chairman last week and I think it’s common knowledge now that the budget situation means from here on in it’s going to be lads who appear for Yarmouth because they want to wear the shirt,” he said.

“Times are tough and we can’t let the club slip further into debt if at all possible. The players are ready to fight. I want us to try and play football as well, rather than launch it route one.

“We need perhaps one or two experienced lads, but then it comes back to the finances again. Unfortunately on Saturday we had to make five changes right to the spine of the team and that doesn’t help when you don’t have a settled side.”

He added: “I guess people might talk about it being a miracle if we could stay in the Premier – but that is the target and has been since I came in.”

Yarmouth’s winless run continued when they were beaten by 2-0 at Felixstowe & Walton Utd on Saturday, before suffering another heavy home defeat on Tuesday when they lost 7-0 to high-flying Wroxham.

Tomorrow the Bloaters entertain Walsham-le-Willows who are just one place above them in the league, but have played five games fewer. Walsham beat the Bloaters 4-2 (aet) in the League Cup this season.

Most Read

Great Yarmouth 0 Wroxham 7

Wroxham moved back to the top of Ridgeons League Premier Division in emphatic fashion on Tuesday night as they cruised past struggling Great Yarmouth Town at The Wellesley.

David Batch’s side showed no mercy on the struggling Bloaters, racing into a 4-0 lead inside 32 minutes before completing the demolition job in the closing stages.

As a result they moved a point clear of Dereham Town at the top – with the added luxury of still having three games in hand on the Magpies.

Wroxham went in front on 15 minutes when Paul Cousins nodded home from Shaun Howes’ corner and quickly doubled their advantage as Matt Daniels converted from the penalty spot after Ben Thompson had been fouled.

Thompson quickly made it 3-0 with a volley from 15 yards and it was all over bar the shouting just past the half hour mark when Paul Cook latched on to a fine through ball from Andy Easthaugh to pile the misery on the hosts.

To their credit Yarmouth then held firm for over 40 minutes, only for three late goals to complete a real hammering.

On 75 minutes Bloaters skipper Adam Mills put through his own net to make it 5-0 to the visitors and six minutes later Cook scored his second after good work from David Hinton. The scoring was complete in the 89th minute as Gavin Lemmon converted a second penalty following a foul on Hinton.

Felixstowe and WU 2, Great Yarmouth Town 0

Two goals in the second half from a dominant Felixstowe kept Great Yarmouth rooted to the bottom of the Ridgeons Premier League.

A header from Sheppard and a Cranfield tap-in secured the three points in a game where Yarmouth failed to have a notable shot on target, writes REBECCA ABBOTT.

Felixstowe created the early chances without Yarmouth responding. With 15 minutes gone Greygoose was forced into another save, this time when Blake headed Cranfield’s cross low to the keeper’s right.

The front three of Blake, Cranfield and Cole continued to create problems for the Bloaters defence all game, with the latter having the best chance to take the lead after 23 minutes. The striker would have scored from within the area if it wasn’t for a last- ditch tackle from Kemp.

The front three were involved again just four minutes later. Blake racing to get on to the end of Cole’s cross, but the acrobatic diving header at the far post rose over the crossbar.

Despite the onslaught Yarmouth didn’t concede, but they didn’t get a shot on target all half. The closest they got came 10 minutes from the interval. McAra pounced on a stray ball on the right, but Vide’s cross from the by-line went straight to the goalkeeper.

Felixstowe ended the half the strongest with Cole involved again. Three minutes from the interval his cross fell to Matthews whose shot rolled through to Greygoose. A minute later a ball over the top caught out Yarmouth’s defence, allowing Cole to run half the length of the pitch and force a save from the goalkeeper, the rebound acrobatically fired over the crossbar by Sheppard.

The onslaught continued into the second half with Felixstowe winning a corner within two minutes. Powell’s header rebounded for Blake to volley over the crossbar.

Three minutes later Felixstowe got forward again. Cole’s turn and shot in the area after being found by Agricole forced Greygoose to concede a corner. From it the dominance finally told, Sheppard at the near post heading into the net.

Yarmouth’s first shot on target came just after the hour mark when a cross from the right found Araujo, whose shot from the by-line was cleared of the line.

From that Felixstowe broke, Cole in space on the right was allowed to wander into the area, but his shot was easily saved by Greygoose.

On 65 minutes a cross was cleared to Duzgan, whose shot from 35 yards whistled past the far post.

A minute later a through ball found Cranfield in space, but Greygoose did well to parry the striker’s low shot away from danger.

With 76 minutes gone Felixstowe thought they had doubled their lead when a through ball found Cranfield in space, but the linesman had raised his flag.

With eight minutes left and Yarmouth pushing for an equaliser, Felixstowe broke with four attackers against three defenders. Greygoose did well to parry Duzgan’s effort, but was helpless when Cole squared for Cranfield to tap in.

Substitute Hampson nearly have made it three when his long-range shot hit the upright.

The only real chance of a consolation came from Formoso when in the first of three stoppage time minutes, his cross was deflected to Jobbagy, who’s shot was blocked. A minute later Formoso’s cross-come-shot from the corner of the area flew past the far post.

Felixstowe & Walton United: Clubb, Agricole, Ryland (C), Powell, Cook, Sheppard, Duzgan, Matthews, Blake (Hampson, 58), Cranfield (Burton, 82), Cole. Unused subs: Davis, Snell.

Bookings: Matthews 41

Goals: Sheppard 52, Cranfield 82

Great Yarmouth Town: Greygoose, Forbes, Kemp (Jobbagy, 67), Araujo, Giacomelli, Baldock (C), Formoso, Barnden, Allen (Alford, 80), McAra, Vide. Unused subs: Hackleton, Addy.

Bookings: Araujo 88

Goals: None