Bad day for Ang Com champions as highflyers complete a double
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2017
Harleston Town completed the double over Acle after an impressive second half display saw the visitors run out comfortable 5-0 winners on Saturday.
After a fairly even start to the game, Acle created the first chance but Attree’s shot was wide of the post.
Only the woodwork saved the visitors on 15 minutes, Sanders shot across the Harleston goal hit the post and rebounded straight to the keeper. However, it was Harleston who took the lead three minutes later. S Foreman in the home goal was unable to hold a fierce shot and Delaney was the quickest to react to beat the home keeper.
As the half progressed, the visitors gained the ascendancy playing some neat football with crisp passing. Only a fine save by Foreman from a snap-shot by Roberts prevented Harleston from doubling their lead, whilst at the other end, a shot across the face of the goal by Gibbons just crept past the post.
The visitors started the brighter of the two sides in the second half but despite their territorial and possession advantage they did not test the home keeper.
Around the hour mark, a quick free kick taken by Acle almost caught out Harleston, the ball finding Sandell unmarked in the penalty area, but the Acle player, rather than shooting, cut inside and was dispossessed. Just a minute later, the roles were reversed, this time Blythe beating the onrushing Foreman to double Harleston’s lead.
On 72 minutes, it was 3-0, when a good move saw the ball played square to Passey, who easily beat Foreman. The visitors were in total control and a quick move down the right saw the ball played inside to Roberts, whose delicate chip over the onrushing Foreman found an unguarded goal.
- 1 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 2 Work begins on £3m Great Yarmouth council flats development
- 3 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 4 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
- 5 Man stopped by police while driving day after admitting he had no licence
- 6 Vets expanding to garage site amid surge in new animal owners
- 7 Great Yarmouth Pride march postponed amid council criticism
- 8 Your chance to run a takeaway pitch on Gorleston seafront
- 9 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 10 Pleasure Beach to hold fireworks spectacular for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
Guyton replaced L Gibbons for Acle and the substitute was soon into the action having a shot blocked after cutting inside, but that was as good as it got for the hosts. In added time, a loose ball was picked up by Harleston substitute Russell who fired home.
Acle: S Foreman, Gibbons (Guyton), Curran, McCabe, Faulkes, Gibbons, A Sanders, Morgan, Attree, Sandell, Wiley. Subs: Collins-Reed, Saka.
Acle make the short trip to Trafford Park this evening to face Wroxham Reserves at 7.30pm.