Battling Acle Ladies bow out Norfolk Women’s Cup after defeat against Wymondham
- Credit: Archant
Acle United Ladies’ involvement in cup competitions ended on Sunday after a 4-2 defeat by Wymondham in the semi-final of the Norfolk Women’s Cup.
A long free kick from Larkins almost put Acle ahead on 22 minutes. The keeper let the ball bounce over her head but it was just wide of the far post.
Five minutes before the break the stalemate was finally broken. Bullard received a long ball from keeper Hooper and played in Todd who beat her marker and fired past the keeper to give Acle a slender lead.
It was a fairly even start to the second half with neither side testing their opposing keeper and play confined to midfield. After 58 minutes Wymondham forced a series of corners. Acle clearing the first two and from a third the visitors headed just over the bar.
A foul on Burton saw the same player take the free kick hit into the penalty area but Todd’s header was comfortably saved.
You may also want to watch:
With 20 minutes remaining, Wymondham equalised. Cletheroe failed to clear the ball and a cross from the right was played back to Nicholls to convert.
As the half progressed the wind had strengthened considerably and Acle were defending much deeper. Shields headed clear a cross and the ball was passed to Cantwell who fired into the top corner to put Wymondham 2-1 up.
- 1 Woman's third bid to have guesthouse converted into HMO rejected
- 2 Beach and dunes depleted by 'massive forces' as high tides hit
- 3 All the major Christmas events in Norfolk that can go ahead
- 4 Taxi driver stole more than £17,000 from his employer
- 5 Construction of £26m Marina Centre to begin in coming weeks
- 6 'I gave it a good run': Postmistress of 27 years retires due to Covid
- 7 'Give it back' - Man's plea after his moped is stolen
- 8 Road closed for two days for resurfacing
- 9 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks
- 10 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
On 85 minutes Todd driving into the penalty area was brought down, but the referee Roe deemed the tackle to have been made outside the box.
The free kick from Burton was tipped over by the keeper.
Five minutes later, the visitors doubled their lead. Rowland fouled Cantwell and the free kick sailed into the top corner although it seemed to be taken prior to the referee’s whistle a. Shortly afterwards, the visitors scored from another free kick.
Rowland received a second yellow card three minutes into stoppage time for a late tackle on Cantwell to reduce the home side to 10 players before Pasque headed home a well-struck corner by Wells in the 96th minute for the hosts.
But at the final whistle it was Wymondham who celebrated a deserved 4-2 victory.
Acle Ladies: Hooper, Larkins, Goodfield, McGuire, Cletheroe, Rowland, Pasque, Shields, Todd. Burton, Bullard. Subs: Wells, Copeman.
The Ladies return to league action on Sunday with a trip to Billercay, kick off 2pm.