Beach volleyball players on way to Great Yarmouth
MORE than 50 beach volleyball players, who could be representing Britain at the Olympics, are set to visit Great Yarmouth soon.
Volleyball England’s Beach Tour will be starting with the Great Yarmouth Classic on June 25 and 26.
Played over two days, mens and womens teams made up of two players per team will give visitors to the seafront the opportunity to watch a superb display of beach volleyball as they battle it out to win points in the Volleyball England Beach Tour league before the 2011 final in Bournemouth at the end of August.
One of the women’s teams to watch out for this year will be American guest player, Angela Knopf, teamed with Britain’s Helen Brown, who has high hopes of playing for Great Britain in the 2012 Olympics.
She played indoor volleyball for Colorado State University from 1998-2002 then switched to beach volleyball before moving to LA to play beach volleyball on the American Volleyball Professionals Tour from 2006-2009.
You may also want to watch:
Angela, who is in Europe on holiday and is coming to Great Yarmouth especially for the competition, said: “I’m thrilled to be coming to Great Yarmouth to play in the first Volleyball England Beach tournament of the summer. Playing in the US, we always hear great things about the people and the beach in England and it’ll also be good to check out the facilities should any of the Olympic Beach Volleyball teams choose to use Great Yarmouth as their pre-games training base.
“It’s really exciting having the next Olympics in London and beach volleyball is always a fan favourite to watch. I am so excited to be playing in Great Yarmouth.”
- 1 Vanishing village - Satellite images show incredible erosion at Winterton
- 2 9 Norfolk pubs with heated gardens for mixed households
- 3 'One of the most generous people' - Family pays tribute to town 'legend'
- 4 Girl, 13, injured in hit-and-run outside village shop
- 5 'Nothing worse than shut shops': Relief in Great Yarmouth as lockdown lifts
- 6 Parts of Norfolk may see snow by end of the week, say forecasters
- 7 Schools in Norfolk closed or partially shut due to coronavirus
- 8 Cash and jewellery stolen in Gorleston burglary
- 9 'An absolute shock' - clifftop cafe closed amid demolition fears
- 10 Police cordon at cafe and beach ahead of demolition