Belton’s league run hits the buffers
Belton (3pts) lost to Sprowston B (25) by seven wickets in Norfolk League Division Two
Belton’s run of victories was abruptly ended.
Batting first, openers Toll and Day withstood an initial assault of quick bowling from the lively Cook and Stock on a surprisingly fast wicket offering movement and lift.
Day nicked Cook to keeper Fish, whilst A Savoury was unfortunate to be given out lbw. A few lusty boundaries from Toll ended when his off-stump was uprooted by Stock, leaving Belton struggling at 38 for three off 14 overs.
Saj Ali and Cropley rebuilt the innings, their partnership worth 42 runs before Cropley was dismissed for 17. The tail put up little resistance; despite Ali’s 25, the slow left-arm floaters of Trivedi netted him four victims as Belton slumped to 108 all out off 38 overs.
You may also want to watch:
Hopes were lifted when Salman blew away opener Stanley in the first over, and when Nichols had the injured Salmon caught in the covers by Ali, Belton were just 10 overs of the home team’s innings on a par footing.
After tea, however, Pearce opened his shoulders, his half-century completed with a barrage of boundaries. Despite losing Spilling, bowled by Knight for 13, the home team crossed the finish line in the 27th over.
- 1 Woman, 30s, repeatedly punched in face during assault at Asda
- 2 The most wanted men in Norfolk: have you seen these criminals?
- 3 Welcome to our new website
- 4 Delays expected in Great Yarmouth due to quayside roadworks
- 5 How Norfolk coupon queen's new bargain bible could help you save
- 6 Encouraging signs as Covid infection rates plummet in parts of Norfolk
- 7 ‘It was my life’ - Lollipop lady retires after 45 years serving village school
- 8 Funding worth £98m secured for Yarmouth's Third River Crossing
- 9 'Magna Carta is no defence' - Man caught fishing illegally on Broads
- 10 Norfolk needs own Covid tier, say MPs ahead of restrictions decision
Belton: Toll b Stock 22, S Day c Fish b Cook 5, A Savoury lbw b Stock 5, S Ali lbw b Yallop 25, C Cropley c Spilling b Yallop 17, G Warner c Fish b Trivedi 0, T Knight lbw b Trivedi 2, C Nichols c Campbell b Trivedi 8, P Hodds c Patel b Trivedi 16, G Savoury b Campbell 1, A Salman not out 0; extras 7. Total 108. Bowling: Cook 7-2-15-1, Stock 7-2-21-2, Trivedi 12-0-23-4, Yallop 9-1-34-2, Campbell 2.3-0-12-1.
Sprowston B: H Stanley b Salman 0, S Pearce not out 50, J Salmon c Saj Ali b Nichols 11, N Spilling b Knight 13, K Patel not out 30; extras 6. Total (3 wkts) 110. Bowling: Salman 8-1-17-1, Nichols 7.2-32-1, Knight 8-0-44-1, Saj Ali 3-0-11-0.