Belton slam six in county cup tie
Great Yarmouth and District League
ALL games bar one fell victim to the snow. However, that game resulted in excellent news for the league.
Belton FC travelled 60 miles in the last 16 of the Norfolk Primary Cup to face a resilient Northwold Sports and Social Club side.
Belton started the brighter and dominated the first half possession but, on a narrow pitch, were unable to finish their few clear-cut chances.
Northwold continued to battle and press the Belton side with throw-ins but the Belton defence cleared their lines well.
When Liam was put through on goal, and the Northwold goalkeeper brought him down, the resultant penalty was converted by Pat. Belton went in 1-0 up at half-time.
The second half started more positively as Belton totally controlled possession and chances. The introduction of Carl Hanley swayed the game Belton’s way, and several chances were created.
- 1 Landlord finds 20 rabbits abandoned at home after tenants move out
- 2 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 3 From schools to shops: All you need to know about living in Gorleston
- 4 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 5 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
- 6 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 7 Rollesby mum shares heartbreak after death of her seven-year-old daughter
- 8 Driver caught at speeds of nearly 100mph also found to have no licence
- 9 Crews called to collapsed walker on remote Norfolk Broads' path
- 10 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in Norfolk
Further goals from Luke Gibbs, two from Liam Fuller and two more from Pat – including a free-kick from 20 yards.
It resulted in Belton winning 6-0 and progressing to the quarter-finals which will take place in the new year.
This week the league hopes that Caister Youth and South Yarmouth can progress to give the league an impressive trio in the quarter-finals. The league wishes them both well.
All clubs are now urged to get results in asap to fixture secretary Ryan Starkey after the game as The Beach 97.4fm will now be putting all results from the league on its sports show at 5.40pm on Saturday evenings.
Results: Norfolk Primary Cup fourth round: Northwold SSC 0, Belton 6.
Fixtures Saturday: Norfolk Primary Cup fourth round, 1.45pm: Caister Youth v Diss Tn A (Allendale, D Tozer), South Yarmouth v Hopton (Halvergate, P Cater).
HA Holmes League Cup Group One, 2pm: Albion v Catfield (Beaco, N Evans).
HA Holmes League Cup Group Two: Yarmouth Peelers v Bohemians (Lynn Grove, G Houghton), Norfolk N Chance v Yarmouth International (Beaco, A Russell).
Division One: Feathers v Yarmouth Utd (Gorleston Rec, M Hubbard).
Burgess Cup Group One: Caister CC v Prostar Windows (Beaco, B Russell), Arches v Carpathians (Gorleston Rec, B Manship).
Burgess Cup Group Two: Wellington v MK Utd Res (Beaco, P Emblem).
Division Two: Belton v Martham A (Gorleston Rec, D Codling).