Better performance – but it’s another defeat for Gorleston

The Bailey family presented Gorleston with a defibrillator before the derby game with Great Yarmouth

The Bailey family presented Gorleston with a defibrillator before the derby game with Great Yarmouth Town. Picture: David Hardy - Credit: Archant

Gorleston’s end of season slump continued on Saturday – but it was an improved performance on recent weeks.

Ricci Butler made two changes from last week’s trip to Ipswich Wanderers, with Isaac Burrage and Joel Watts both dropping to the bench.

Gerson Soares came in to make his third start of the season and there was also a surprise, with young Sam Wooldridge brought in for his first start.

The Greens started brightly, with the opening 15 minutes possibly the best they’ve played since January, with Connor Ingram seeing a shot blocked and Wooldridge sidefooting into the side-netting.

The hosts didn’t trouble the Greens goal until 15 minutes when a midfield slip gave Lee Hammond a chance but his shot was well over.

However, three minutes later Hadleigh took the lead. With the Greens’ defence stretched, Aaron Bull had space on the left to pick out Tom Driscoll unmarked in the middle of the box and he calmly passed the ball into the bottom corner.

Hadleigh doubled their lead in the 35th minute. Michael Barwick tried to control a bouncing ball and seemed to get a little lucky as his touch took him past a defender. He then picked out Aaron Bull who tucked the ball away past Taurean Molloy.

Most Read

Gorleston kept on the front foot however and two minutes into first half stoppage time were handed a lifeline.

Kyle Ingram was fouled by the left touchline and Soares floated the free-kick into the box. Kyle Baker and James Ross both went for it, the ball bouncing just in front of them and rearing up in front of keeper Sam Mansfield before slipping over his shoulder and dropping into the net.

It’s usually a good time to score just before half-time, but it was Hadleigh who began the second half the brighter.

Gorleston weathered the storm however and with two minutes remaining substitute Joel Watts went through the middle to latch on to a Kyle Ingram pass. His shot was parried out by the goalkeeper, the ball bouncing high to George Yusuff who hooked a volley back towards goal but straight into the keeper’s arms.

Gorleston: Molloy, Clements, Wise, Soares (Oldham 64), Yusuff, Taylor, Ingram, Goreham (Burrage 72), Baker, Ingram, Wooldridge (Watts 54).

Attendance: 104.