Big hockey weekend for Gorleston

Gorleston 2, Lowestoft Town 4GORLESTON, suffering from several injuries and too much confidence, took this game too lightly.Starting brightly Gorleston had all the possession and looked comfortable.

Gorleston 2, Lowestoft Town 4

GORLESTON, suffering from several injuries and too much confidence, took this game too lightly.

Starting brightly Gorleston had all the possession and looked comfortable.

But mistakes started creeping in. From a poor back pass Gorleston were 1-0 down.

Gorleston soon conceded another three goals, mainly down to the whole team having a very bad game with even one player taking exception to how bad he was playing and removing himself from the field

With a stern talking to and a reshuffle of the pack Gorleston started the second half looking more like the team that has surpassed expectations this season, showing some neat passing and a renewed vigour to win the ball back from the opposition.

Most Read

Gorleston's hard work was soon rewarded when Simon Long was adjudged to have gotten a faint edge on the ball to give Gorleston a lifeline back into the game making the score 4-1.

Gorleston continued to press and were unlucky not to convert several chances. With the clock running down Simon Long again popped up to convert his second goal for Gorleston.

Gorleston could take heart in the way they responded after the first half.

Harleston III 3, Gorleston 1

GORLESTON travelled to Harleston on a cold wet evening to play their league game. Through unforeseen circumstances they travelled with only 10 men, making it an impossible mission.

Gorleston started promisingly, containing the strong Harleston team, but the inevitable happened when a loose ball fell to a Harleston player in the D and his deflected shot found the bottom right of the goal, leaving Barny King no chance.

Gorleston, still holding their own, were undone when a Harleston player going away from goal was brought down by the Gorleston keeper, resulting in a penalty flick.

Gorleston again rallied themselves at the half-time team talk. They started the half with a big push looking for a way back into the game but were left short at the back and were unfortunate to concede another goal.

With nothing to lose they went for broke and in the last five minutes, in a goalmouth scramble, Monty Raymond converted. Gorleston will be disappointed with result as with a full team could and should have gotten more of a result out of this game.

This weekend Gorleston have two more important games. Tomorrow entertain Bury II at Cliff Park Community pitch at 2.30pm and on Sunday Old Silhillians from Birmingham in the last 16 of the HA Vase competition with push-back at 1pm.