Big win secures league title for Gorleston Ladies
- Credit: Archant
Gorleston Ladies took on Long Stratton Ladies knowing a win would secure the NWGFL Division Two title and back-to-back promotions.
Having seen off other title contenders Sprowston the week before the Greens went into this match full of confidence and duly set up a celebration with a superb 8-0 win.
Gorleston as usual were full of running with top goal scorer Beth Turner giving Stratton defence a torrid time early on and it wasn’t long before Kayleigh drove through the middle, beating several Stratton players, before calmly slotting home.
Then Hannah Croft on left wing slipped past Stratton defender and hit a right footed shot from 20 yards out which bent round the keeper for 2-0.
An inch perfect corner from the right found Leanne Smith rising above Stratton with a well timed header to make it 3-0 and that was the score at half-time.
The second half saw Greens kicking against the wind and producing some of their best passing football of the season so far, with Sam Hunn, playing out of position on the left wing, rampant, A perfect run at the far post ended with her hitting a thunderous shot into back of the net for a well deserved goal.
Debutant Maria Jardim settled in to midfield well and she beat a Stratton player and slipped the ball through to Sam to stroke home her second and the Greens’ fifth.
- 1 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 2 Four men arrested following altercation by Great Yarmouth pub
- 3 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 4 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 5 Man who raped teen jailed for six years
- 6 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 7 Date set for road reopening after sewer collapse
- 8 Man to be sentenced next month over Norfolk pub attack
- 9 Gorleston traders remain positive despite cost of living crisis
- 10 Hospital opens £1.2m eye operation theatre to cut waiting times
Beth added sixth after some fine play from Elisha and Leanne Muffett and Leanne added her second and Gorleston’s seventh before player-of-the-match Sam wrapped things up with her hat-trick.
This was by no means an easy match for Greens as Stratton fought for every ball.
After the game Hayley Muir said: “We have done it, huge congratulations to the girls, we work so hard both on and off the pitch, It’s been a privilege to captain the team this season but we aren’t done yet, we still have important games to play.”
Manager Jason Croft added: “I’m so proud of what Gorleston Ladies have achieved, each and every one of them has given something and contributed to the success of the team this season.”
Chairman Alan Gordon commented: “I’m delighted, the enthusiasm and dedication of Hayley and the Ladies; team rubs off on everyone at the club, Well done!”