Big win secures league title for Gorleston Ladies
- Credit: Archant
Gorleston Ladies took on Long Stratton Ladies knowing a win would secure the NWGFL Division Two title and back-to-back promotions.
Having seen off other title contenders Sprowston the week before the Greens went into this match full of confidence and duly set up a celebration with a superb 8-0 win.
Gorleston as usual were full of running with top goal scorer Beth Turner giving Stratton defence a torrid time early on and it wasn’t long before Kayleigh drove through the middle, beating several Stratton players, before calmly slotting home.
Then Hannah Croft on left wing slipped past Stratton defender and hit a right footed shot from 20 yards out which bent round the keeper for 2-0.
An inch perfect corner from the right found Leanne Smith rising above Stratton with a well timed header to make it 3-0 and that was the score at half-time.
You may also want to watch:
The second half saw Greens kicking against the wind and producing some of their best passing football of the season so far, with Sam Hunn, playing out of position on the left wing, rampant, A perfect run at the far post ended with her hitting a thunderous shot into back of the net for a well deserved goal.
Debutant Maria Jardim settled in to midfield well and she beat a Stratton player and slipped the ball through to Sam to stroke home her second and the Greens’ fifth.
- 1 Furious villagers claim chicken farm was approved 'under the radar'
- 2 'Magna Carta is no defence' - Man caught fishing illegally on Broads
- 3 Bid for 33 homes approved as councillors rebel against recommendation
- 4 Woman's third bid to have guesthouse converted into HMO rejected
- 5 Beach and dunes depleted by 'massive forces' as high tides hit
- 6 'We will have to work at it' - mixed reaction as Great Yarmouth in tier 2
- 7 Hospital death toll from Covid-19 passes 150
- 8 What does tier two mean for you? Step-by-step guide to new rules
- 9 'I think it's pretty fair' - Great Yarmouth people react to Tier 2 announcement
- 10 Construction of £26m Marina Centre to begin in coming weeks
Beth added sixth after some fine play from Elisha and Leanne Muffett and Leanne added her second and Gorleston’s seventh before player-of-the-match Sam wrapped things up with her hat-trick.
This was by no means an easy match for Greens as Stratton fought for every ball.
After the game Hayley Muir said: “We have done it, huge congratulations to the girls, we work so hard both on and off the pitch, It’s been a privilege to captain the team this season but we aren’t done yet, we still have important games to play.”
Manager Jason Croft added: “I’m so proud of what Gorleston Ladies have achieved, each and every one of them has given something and contributed to the success of the team this season.”
Chairman Alan Gordon commented: “I’m delighted, the enthusiasm and dedication of Hayley and the Ladies; team rubs off on everyone at the club, Well done!”