Black belts for super trio
Christmas came early for three Phoenix Karate School students when they passed their junior 1st Dan Black Belt grading on Sunday.
Caister’s Lucy Brewer, Krisha-Sue Ashman from Gorleston and Hopton’s Ebony Halladay all joined the Phoenix Elite.
In the gruelling four-hour grading they performed basics, kicks, katas, pad work, self-defence, sparring and competition fighting at an extremely high standard, demonstrating their skills with determination and resolve.
All three girls have been training with chief instructor Charlie Trorey 4th Dan for many years and have taken part in local competitions and been part of the school’s magnificent display team.
Lucy has recently joined the Phoenix trainee instructor programme, a five-year programme to achieve club instructor status.
Charlie said: “The girls were incredibly focused and myself and the three panel members Vivianne Trorey, Dean Snowling and James Allan were all in agreement that they scored high enough marks to pass.
Many students think gaining a Black Belt is the end of the ladder – it is in fact just the start of a new learning experience.
- 1 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 2 Inquest held into death of Gorleston man aged 32
- 3 Which Great Yarmouth roads are holding Jubilee parties
- 4 Norfolk police officer goes on the run to win £100,000 on Hunted
- 5 Vets expanding to garage site amid surge in new animal owners
- 6 Fly-tipping mattresses costs mother and son over £1,000
- 7 Palmers: What is the plan, and when will it be finished?
- 8 Your chance to run a takeaway pitch on Gorleston seafront
- 9 Great Yarmouth Pride march postponed amid council criticism
- 10 5 of the best Chinese restaurants with delivery in Great Yarmouth
The three girls will continue to gain further knowledge as they progress through the Dan grades. Anyone wishing to train with Phoenix Karate Schools at classes in Acle, Martham, Caister, Great Yarmouth, Gorleston, Hopton, Oulton Broad, Beccles and Halesworth can contact Charlie on 01502 730171 or Vivianne on 07895 550168 for details.