Bloaters aim to halt losing streak

Tomorrow Yarmouth Town try to halt a five-game losing streak when FC Clacton – unbeaten in their last seven games in all competitions – visit the Wellesley. Earlier in the season Clacton defeated their hosts 3-0 in the FA Cup.

On Tuesday the Bloaters host Norwich United (ko 7:45). In September the Planters defeated the Bloaters 2-0.

After crashing out of the Norfolk Junior Cup on Saturday, 3-1 at Drayton, the Reserves return to league action when they travel to Needham Market at the weekend.

The U18s face Kirkley and Pakefield next Wednesday at home, k/o 7:45pm.

Mildenhall Town 4 Great Yarmouth Town 1

Great Yarmouth Town were dealt another heavy defeat against another of the Ridgeons League Premier Division top sides, writes COLIN JONES.

Again manager Mike Derbyshire had absentees to contend with, with Dan Baldock still injured, Adam Mills still on holiday whilst the late unavailability bug struck again, this time with young Shaun MacCleod, who impressed at Brantham last week. He was able to welcome back Eddie Short into the team and even had the luxury of being able to start top goalscorer Glen Spooner on the bench. Again, the team had an attacking feel to it with Mitch Forbes, Fernando Vide, Scott Woodcock and Joe Clark all on the pitch against the league’s top scorers, writes COLIN JONES.

Most Read

Early Mildenhall dominance was rewarded 10 minutes into the match with Murkin providing the final finish after Mildenhall’s players passed their way through the static Yarmouth defence.

A few minutes later Greygoose kept the team in the game again with an excellent save at the feet of Wood who was clean through again with an AWOL defence. Paynter had the next good effort but his half-volley cracked against the crossbar when unmarked in the area. Wood was clear soon after but Nathan Kemp stood up well and cleared the ball off the striker for a goal kick to the underfire Bloaters.

On 24 minutes the second goal finally came, Wood and McCabe with interchange play which cut through the Yarmouth defence like butter and Wood finished to make the score 2-0. Mildenhall, Paynter and Wood in particular created further chances for the home side in the first half with Yarmouth’s only real opportunity a long range effort from Vide.

An improved second half start from the visitors saw a Woodcock shot palmed wide. From the resulting corner Vide got a shot away but it was gathered by Pope.

But Mildenhall effectively finished the game off with a third goal against the run of play. Captain Merthmann applied the final touch after five minutes of the second half. A minute later came a controversial fourth goal. A throw-in was given to the home side, when the Yarmouth players were convinced it was their throw. From that resulting throw Paynter was clearly in an offside position and the Yarmouth defence stopped play but the assistant didn’t raise his flag and the striker was left with a one-on-one which Greygoose saved but was helpless against the rebound which fell to Paynter again.

The controversy continued as Short tussled well as the last man with a Mildenhall striker, Short won that tussle but after he passed back to Greygoose the striker bundled Short to the floor with an apparent push in the back of the head. A free kick was given but no card was shown by referee Carl Pearse.

Yarmouth were again agitated by the referee when Clark was downed on the edge of the area but no free kick was given. To make matters worse the referee booked captain Ager soon after for kicking the ball away.

But their second half improved performance was rewarded with a goal on 65 minutes. Johnny Miller with the pass through to Forbes whose shot was cleared, the ball fell to Woodcock who shot from distance into the bottom corner of the net to give the boys in pink a glimmer of hope.

That glimmer almost shone brighter but Woodcock could only hit the cross bar with a delicate chip after Vide’s superb pass.

A sour note was an injury to Johnny Miller, who missed most of last season with a bad injury. Despite a long period of stoppage it is believed the injury suffered on the player’s ankle may not be as serious as first feared.

Team: Greygoose, Short, Page, Miller (Hackleton 90), Kemp (S Bartley 73), Ager, Clark J, Barnden, Forbes (Spooner 80), Woodcock, Vide. Scorer: Woodcock. Bookings: Miller, Ager. Att: 108