Bloaters get ready for league campaign

Sheringham 0, Great Yarmouth Town 3

The Bloaters retained the Michael Wright Cup with a comfortable victory over hosts Sheringham on Thursday evening with goals from Scott Woodcock, Fernando Vide and Martin Goulder.

On a chilly night it was the Bloaters that dominated the early exchanges, with the home side at times struggling to get the ball out of their own half. This pressure almost paid off for Yarmouth when a short from Ross Catchpole was deflected over the bar and from the resultant corner the Sheringham keeper produced a fine save to keep out Fernando Vide.

The pace of Vide and Scott Woodcock was causing problems for the home defence and the Bloaters attacking play down both flanks created a chance for Johnny Miller whose shot was tipped round the post by the keeper.

On 30 minutes the Bloaters took a deserved lead when a quick free-kick caught out the home defence and Woodcock was on hand to slot the ball home past a retreating keeper.

Sheringham’s first serious effort on goal came in the 38th minute but the shot was easily saved by Jake Jessup in the Yarmouth goal. Then, on the stroke on half-time the Bloaters doubled their lead. Vide cut in from the wing and his first shot was blocked by the keeper only for the ball to rebound back to Vide whose second shot was blasted into the far corner of the goal.

The home side had two good chances early in the second half with Jessup pulling off a fine reflex save from a header after Yarmouth had conceded a corner. But normal service was resumed as the Bloaters took control of the game with Vide going close.

Most Read

Yarmouth rang the changes with Vide, Forbes, Duffy and Miller being replaced by Clark, Goulder, Barnden and Adewale.

Spooner missed two chances to increase the lead when he clipped the top of the bar with one shot and shot straight at the keeper with another, but Yarmouth made the game safe in the 85th minute Goulder side footed the ball into an empty net from a cross by Woodcock.

Yarmouth: J Jessup, J Page, E Short, G Palmer, C Duffy, R Catchpole, F Vide, J Miller, G Spooner, M Forbes, S Woodcock. Subs: M Goulder (Vide 57mins), S Adewale (Forbes 57mins), T Clark (Duffy 62mins), G Barnden (Miller 62mins). Scorers: Woodcock 30mins, Vide 44mins, Goulder 85mins.

Great Yarmouth Town 0, Peterborough Northern Star 2

The Bloaters made two changes from the side which retained the Michael Wright Cup at Sheringham with Bobby Hills replacing Gareth Palmer and Joe Clark, a prospective loan signing from Lowestoft Town in for Mitch Forbes.

Yarmouth were on the back foot straight from the kick-off as the visitors applied pressure on the Bloaters defence. In the 3rd minute the Yarmouth failed to clear the ball out of the penalty area and a snap shot was deflected for a corner. From the corner the visitors thought they had taken the lead when a header beat Jake Jessup, but the referee had adjudged a foul on the Bloaters keeper.

It was end-to-end football, as a minute later a poor clearance from the Peterborough keeper went straight to Scott Woodcock but he short high and wide of the target.

The visitors started to gain control of the midfield and apply pressure in the Yarmouth half but rarely tested the Yarmouth keeper, although they were prone to counter-attacks by the Yarmouth wide men Woodcock and Fernando Vide.

With no clear cut chances by either side in the remainder of the half, the 0-0 scoreline at half time was a fair reflection of the game.

The second half started the same as the first with Peterborough applying pressure which paid off within two minutes of the restart. Hills, under pressure from an attacker, underhit a pass back to keeper Jessup and the forward place the ball past the advancing Jessup to give the visitors a 1-0 lead.

This reverse stunned the Bloaters into action with Spooner hitting a snap shot which almost caught out the visiting keeper and Woodcock with a volley which the keeper tipped around the post.

Yarmouth used their substitutes in the 60th and 64th minutes with Steer and Jones replacing Vide and Hills then Adewale, Haworth and Goulder replacing Woodcock, Miller and Spooner.

Then, on 76 minutes Catchpole conceded needless free-kick just outside the home side’s penalty area. From the resultant kick, Jessup was balked by an attacker in an offside position who headed the ball into an unguarded net. Despite the Bloaters’ protests the goal was allowed to stand by the referee.

Try as they might, Yarmouth were unable to break down Peterborough’s defence and on the balance of play the visitors deserved their victory.

Yarmouth: J Jessup, J Page, E Short, B Hills, C Duffy, R Catchpole, F Vide, J Miller, G Spooner, J Clark, S Woodcock. Subs: M Goulder (Woodcock 64mins), S Steer (Vide 60mins), S Jones (Hills 60mins), S Adewale (Spooner 64mins), A Haworth (Miller 64mins).

Blofield United 7, Great Yarmouth Town Res 2

The Reserves continued their pre-season friendlies when they took a young side including a couple of trialists to Blofield United on Tuesday evening.

Despite the 2-7 reverse against the Anglian Combination Premier Division side, with goals from Tommy Gardiner and Martin Goulder, the match was a good work-out to ascertain fitness levels and to gel as a team.

The home side showed their intention of an attacking game straight from the kick-off and in the second minute Peter Souza saved a point-blank header from a Blofield corner.

With the Bloaters under pressure, most of the Blofield attacks were coming down the flanks using their fast wide men against the slower full-backs. It was no surprise when the home side took the lead after 18 minutes. The right winger easily passed his marker and crossed with his team mate stroking the ball past Souza in the Yarmouth goal.

Against the run of play the Bloaters equalised two minutes later when Michael White dispossessed a Blofield midfielder and crossed the ball to Tommy Gardiner to score.

With their tails up, the Bloaters took the lead with a fine opportunist goal from Martin Goulder who sneaked between two defenders to poke the ball past the home keeper.

The spectators were fully entertained with a fourth goal in an eight minute period when Blofield equalised with a carbon copy of their first goal except for the fact it was down the left wing this time, and the home side took the lead after 33 minutes again using the flank to start the attack.

In the second half the experience of the home side told against the young Bloaters as the home side netted four goals without reply.

Yarmouth Squad: P Souza, A Houghton, M White, D Crosby, O McCarthy, R Barnard, L Griggs, A Haworth, T Gardiner, M Goulder, N Kemp, J Woods.