Bloaters have to settle for a point after tight game at Clacton
- Credit: Archant
The Bloaters made the long trip to face FC Clacton at Rush Green Bowl and came away with a hard-earned point.
After a good start to the season the visitors had faltered slightly with a couple of disappointing performances.
Before the game Clacton sat two places above them in the table, however with their cup exploits and other circumstances the visitors had played nine games fewer than the Essex outfit.
With the undulating surface and the strong wind providing difficult conditions visiting goalkeeper Jack Whatmough was called into action in the seventh minute as he made a double save from a long throw-in.
The Bloaters were struggling to get a foothold in the game and Whatmough was again involved, tipping over a cross shot from the right.
The hosts were enjoying most of the possession but a resolute back line and some poor decision making by the Seasiders kept the scoreline blank at half-time.
With the wind behind them the expected onslaught from the visitors didn’t materialise in the early stages of the second half as Ager and Howell thwarted a couple of dangerous attacks for the Seasiders.
- 1 New York, Paris, Peckham, Great Yarmouth - Only Fools stars coming to town
- 2 Access road for driveways denied to Gorleston residents
- 3 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 4 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 5 New seafront festival promises feast of family fun
- 6 Pupils 'not afraid to share ideas' - School praised by Ofsted
- 7 Four men arrested following altercation by Great Yarmouth pub
- 8 Church glamping pod plan on ice as £626,000 funding bid awaits approval
- 9 Green light for quarry's expansion and longer life
- 10 Free open top bus tours to show off Great Yarmouth's seafront
The Bloaters, although not dominant, started to create chances as Perfect and Forbes both missed the target with shots from good positions.
With 17 minutes left the home side were fortunate when the ball struck Clowsley on the arm from Perfect’s cross but penalty appeals were turned down. From the corner the hosts survived a scramble as the Bloaters looked to win all three points.
The home side were still dangerous but Whatmough and his troops remained defiant and at the other end Applegate fired in a shot that was saved.
With three minutes left a powerful run by Perfect found Andersen in a good position but instead he side-footed to Forbes in space, who fired his shot past the post when well-placed.
A minute later a shot by Applegate was brilliantly tipped over the bar by Avenell while with time almost up a good chance for the home side was spurned when substitute Brazitis dragged his shot wide when well-placed.
Bloaters: Whatmough, J Forbes, Andersen, Bartram, Ager, Howell, Perfect, Applegate, M Forbes, Sanders, Lewis. Subs: Ford, Savage, Doddington, Bond, Patterson.