Bloaters hit back from two down

Halstead 2, Yarmouth Town 4THE Bloaters will be looking for a repeat of their team effort at high-flying Halstead tomorrow when March United, fourth from bottom of Ridgeons One, visit the Wellesley (3pm).

Halstead 2, Yarmouth Town 4

THE Bloaters will be looking for a repeat of their team effort at high-flying Halstead tomorrow when March United, fourth from bottom of Ridgeons One, visit the Wellesley (3pm).

With Yarmouth making their usual rapid start, the game quickly developed into the usual pattern where Town do all the attacking and then find themselves trailing to an early goal. Halstead found the net after only three minutes with virtually their first touch of the ball and went on to lead 2-0.

The Yarmouth of old may have capitulated, but not any more. The Halstead goal was slightly fortunate as Pride in the Yarmouth goal seemed to have the ball under control, but it slipped from his hands and Halstead's Chris Bryan took full advantage.

The Bloaters, undeterred, carried on taking the game to their opponents, who looked dangerous on the break. Yarmouth had to be sharp at the back.

On 12 minutes Yarmouth created a great chance. After some good work, Dyer played an excellent ball into the box for Roach to play a one-two with Taylor. But the shot went wide.

Most Read

Sixteen minutes on the clock and Yarmouth created another chance when Watt hit a cracking shot from 25 yards which was tipped over by keeper Rutherford.

Yarmouth were doing most of the attacking and on 20 minutes Taylor had a good volley saved well. On 26 minutes Taylor again tested the keeper when a cross-cum-shot from the right had Rutherford at full stretch.

Yarmouth continued to press, and Halstead were reduced to the odd break which the Yarmouth defence had little trouble coping with. With half-time fast approaching Yarmouth had enjoyed about 80 per cent of the play but had nothing to show for it.

They made their first substitution at half-time when Bartley replaced Thompson. On 50 minutes Bartley sent a direct free-kick from the right just wide.

With 55 minutes on the clock, Halstead stormed forward with the Yarmouth defence static thinking it was offside. Bryan was just wide with his effort.

For the first time in the game, Yarmouth were under the cosh but defended well and reduced Halstead to mainly long-range efforts.

On 65 minutes Yarmouth created an excellent chance. Ffrom a Taylor corner, Roach knocked down to new boy Correia whose excellent first-time shot was saved brilliantly by Rutherford. This was to be the last contribution from Correia, who had an encouraging debut and was replaced by Adam Sewell.

Yarmouth were well on top, but it was to prove a false dawn when Halstead took a two-goal advantage on 70 minutes when again Bryan hit a direct free-kick into the net.

At this stage Yarmouth, for all their efforts, looked a beaten side. But the game suddenly turned on its head. Roach got to the ball first from a fine cross from Sewell and just beat the keeper to the ball to head in Yarmouth's first goal.

It was all Yarmouth and Halstead were struggling to keep them out. On 76 minutes the Bloaters drew level when some excellent build-up play involving Sewell, Roach and Taylor, sent Bartley in on goal to make 2-2.

Yarmouth where now looking for the win and took the lead with the best move and finish of the game. With Johnny Watt attacking down the right, he found Roach, who played in Liam Bartley. His overhead shot left the keeper in no man's land.

This was no more than Yarmouth deserved and there was still more to come. On 87 minutes a throw on the right found Sullivan, who played a great ball through to Crawley who ran 40 yards and finished in style after rounding the keeper.

The “Yarmy Barmy Army” again never gave up on the team and played their part in a great win.

Yarmouth Town: Elliot Pride, Johnny Watt, Paul Dyer, Steve Taylor, Gareth Palmer, Toby Gourbould, Bruno Correia, Adam Sullivan, Stuart Roach, Nick Crawley, Mark Thompson. Subs: Tommy Gardiner, Adam Sewell, Liam Bartley.