Bloaters know way to goal

Twenty-six goals in Great Yarmouth Town's four club games this week, 19 to the Bloaters, have given the fans plenty of entertainment.The Youth U18s started with a 5-1 success at Gorleston a week last Wednesday, and on Saturday the first team won 5-0 and the Reserves 6-0.

Twenty-six goals in Great Yarmouth Town's four club games this week, 19 to the Bloaters, have given the fans plenty of entertainment.

The Youth U18s started with a 5-1 success at Gorleston a week last Wednesday, and on Saturday the first team won 5-0 and the Reserves 6-0. Tuesday's first team game with Debenham returned nine goals, though sadly Yarmouth could only claim three of them, writes Gerry Brown.

The U18s remain with a 100 per cent record from all games, and the first team are still unbeaten in league fixtures.

The Reserves rose to the giddy heights of third, the highest placing in their division for some years after demolishing bottom side Sprowston Wanderers with goals from Darren Patterson (2), David Lawrence (2), Mark Thompson and Sam Watts.

Eden Rudling's side will, however, face a tougher assignment tomorrow (Wellesley, 2) when they play fifth-placed Anglian Windows who have scored an eight and two sevens on their way to 37 goals in eight games!

The Reserves have a rare midweek game on Tuesday, at home to Poringland Wanderers (Wellesley, 7.30) in the Junior Knockout Cup (Cyril Ballyn Trophy).

Most Read

March Town United is the venue for tomorrow's first team game (KO 3) and there is a coach going, supporters welcome, leaving James Watt Close, Gapton Hall at 11 (for details ring 01493 656099).

The Under 18s have a home league game next Wednesday, with Cromer Town Youth being the visitors (KO 7.45).

Waste paper is still being collected, and can be left by the hut inside the main gate but not, please, outside Legends Bar entrance.

Yarmouth match posters are available for anyone that can display one. Please ring 01502 513669.

Great Yarmouth Town 3, Debenham LC 6 (after extra time; score 3-3 at 90 minutes)

An amazing match in which Yarmouth led three times saw Debenham take control in the extra time period of this Ridgeons League Challenge Cup first round tie on tuesday. The Bloaters had to play for all but the first 28 minutes with only 10 men.

With several regular first teamers unavailable on Tuesday, Yarmouth joint manager Kevin Cruickshank took the opportunity to include some fringe and reserve players, including the free-scoring reserve striker Darren Patterson, and gave a debut to Jamie Miller.

Bloaters' captain Adam Sullivan opened the scoring in the tenth minute with a thunderbolt of a strike from 30-yards with the ball taking an awkward bounce in front of 'keeper Louis Johnson.

David Lawrence, making his first start of the season, saw a diving header pushed away by Johnson moments later as Yarmouth sought to get a real grip .

Dominic Smith, having a great game in midfield, sent a magnificent pass to Johnny Watt advancing down the right though the ball just ran ahead of him, but Yarmouth suffered a blow after 28 minutes when Watt was sent off for what looked an innocuous foul on the touchline but sounded worse. Shortly after, Liam Bartley gave way to Marcus Godbold in an early substitution to redress the balance of the side.

Elliot Pride made his one save of the half from a Rob Kemp shot, Chris Squire hit a Debenham post with a shot that deceived Johnson, and the visitors' Kevin Barker headed over from five yards to conclude an interesting half.

A meagre crowd was warmed on a cold night by five goals in the second half which took the game to extra time.

Debenham equalised after 60 minutes with a 20-yard shot from James Heathcote.

Yarmouth immediately brought on Patterson and a minute later were back in front when Godbold headed home a Sewell long throw.

Pride saved on the line from a Debenham corner before the visitors equalised again after 70 minutes with a Warren Taylor-Holt angled shot from 20 yards out on the left.

Miller came on for his senior debut, surprisingly replacing Sullivan, then the prolific Stuart Jopling headed wide.

The Bloaters again went ahead this time through Patterson after a good move down the right and a cross from Sewell after 81 minutes, and home hopes were high.

But Debenham always looked dangerous on the attack and found a third equaliser with just three minutes left with another effort from Heathcote, this time after the ball came to him off a post in a goalmouth melee, though a prior foul on Toby Gorbould should have crossed that one off.

With the game to be decided on the night, the first extra-time period saw Debenham take the lead for the first time after 93 minutes when Mark Powling followed up a blocked Jopling shot.

Yarmouth had two chances to draw level but headers from Patterson and Gorbould only found the keeper.

As 10-man Yarmouth began to weary, Debenham wrapped up the game in the second extra period through Taylor-Holt after 116 minutes and Jopling a minute from the end.

Cruickshank thought the reserve players that came in did well: “David Lawrence and Darren Patterson were excellent. Marcus Godbold did not start well but got into his game before he was injured, and Jamie Miller on his debut also did well.

“Everyone gave their all for the team and even at 4-3 down we kept it tight and had planned to push forward in the last five to see if we could take them to penalties. However, it all goes to show we have good strength in depth now at the club.”

Yarmouth - Elliot Pride, Johnny Watt, Adam Sewell, Toby Gorbould, Adrian Ager, Alan Darby, Dominic Smith, Adam Sullivan (c) (Jamie Miller 75), Liam Bartley (Marcus Godbold 32), David Lawrence (Darren Patterson 60). Unused subs: Mark Thompson, Michael Hilton. Attendance - 41.