Bloaters lose out in the fog

GREAT Yarmouth Town suffered their second successive midweek postponement when Tuesday’s game at Dereham fell victim to fog.

Unlike the game at Leiston last week, the game against the league leaders did actually start – but lasted only a quarter-of-an-hour before it became impossible to see from one side to the other. There was no score at the time, writes Gerry Brown.

Reserve regular Chris Duffy made his first senior start, but that will not count now, and Jake Reed will have to sit out yet another match as his suspension rolls on.

If tomorrow’s game against Woodbridge at the Wellesley (ko 3pm) goes ahead as expected Reed will be available for Tuesday’s League Cup tie at home to Kirkley and Pakefield (ko 7.45pm).

After Tuesday’s disappointment, Bloaters’ boss Paul Tong at least saw the funny side when he quipped: “It’s not many teams that leave Aldiss Park with a clean sheet!” Scott Woodcock added: “I knew it was bad because I lost the ball three times on the far side but still didn’t get any comment from Tongy!”

However, Tong was not laughing on Saturday when his side conceded four second-half goals to give Felixstowe their first home win, which was ironic as Yarmouth have yet to win a home league game themselves!

After a first half completely dominated by Yarmouth, Tong said: “The first half was, to be fair, the most one-sided half in my entire managerial career. Other than the shock goal for them, a rasping shot from 35 yards which took a deflection to deceive Michael Hilton, we absolutely dominated.”

Most Read

If Yarmouth thought the second half was going to be a stroll, Felixstowe had other ideas. Tong continued: “A game is not over until the 90 minutes are up, and credit to Felixstowe – they kept going and their pace caused us problems, which surprised us for the first time this year (report on page 62).

“We actually looked a little bit exposed, and it may be the competitiveness of the league is too much for one or two of the players we have at this moment.”

But Tong refused to criticise his players. “These lads travel a long way for the club, they give their all, they play with their hearts on their sleeves and, after all, nobody plays poorly on purpose. You just have to put it down as a bad day at the office.”

Next Saturday’s Norfolk Senior Cup tie with King’s Lynn Town will feature half-time entertainment in the form of a Crossbar Challenge between supporters of the two clubs.

Commercial manager Carl Harding said: “In return for a donation to our cancer fund, we are inviting supporters to take part in the half-time fun on the Wellesley pitch.

“Places are limited so anyone who is up for it, get in touch urgently.”

n Any supporters interested should contact Carl in the bar or ring him on 07854 019677.