Bloaters maintain good start to new campaign

Wellesley Recreation Ground, home of Great Yarmouth Town.

Wellesley Recreation Ground, home of Great Yarmouth Town. - Credit: Archant

Haverhill Borough 0 Great Yarmouth Town 2

The Bloaters responded well to last week’s FA Cup defeat by beating Haverhill Borough 2-0.

Yarmouth kept up their 100pc league record and are now the only Thurlow Nunn side in either division yet to concede a league goal.

Goals at the end of each half made sure that the three points were going back to The Wellesley.

Haverhill’s facility at the New Croft is something to be admired and included an immaculate playing surface leaving no excuses for the arriving Bloaters players not to play some entertaining football.

With the scene tremendously set the Yarmouth managers Mason and Sinclair named a side which included three changes to the previous week’s line up.

Thomas Daniels, Sean Perfect and Pete Oldham made way for Nick Bailey, Lee Roots and Robin Andersen in an effort to utilise some rotation in a strong squad which did not include Charlie McAra or Leighton Crux who played in the Reserves, or newly signed Conner Deeks who is still serving a three-game suspension.

Most Read

The Bloaters started well with the Borough goalkeeper being called upon twice in the opening 10 minutes.

Firstly Tom Cullumbine found an early opening, but his shot was well saved. Then Mitch Forbes tried to thread a ball to Cullumbine but the keeper was quick off his line to intercept.

Borough’s best chance of the half came after 40 minutes but the strikers could not just poke home past Bloaters keeper Liam Hembling.

Great Yarmouth opened the scoring seconds later, as a free kick on the left by Lee Roots was whipped into the box. Ady Ager leapt highest to head the ball over Charlie Turner and into the Borough goal.

Yarmouth started the second half brightly and had two chances early on, first as Cullumbine’s run on the counter left him with just Turner to beat, but the Yarmouth forward slid the ball past the post.

Just two minutes later Borough’s captain Garth Thomas’ last-minute slide tackle was enough to prevent Forbes’ shot from troubling Turner in the home goal.

The home sided created a few half chances before Yarmouth piled on the pressure in the last five minutes. The home custodian was called upon twice to deny Cullumbine a goal by diving smartly to his left, then again to save substitute Thomas Daniels’ effort.

However, another substitute, Sean Perfect, was able to do just that, with a fantastic curling effort into the top corner from the edge of the box in the dying seconds of the game.

Great Yarmouth, who are now in sixth place with games in hand on the teams above them, are next in league action with an away game at March Town United.

Great Yarmouth: Hembling, Howell, Bailey, Andersen, Ager, Forbes, Roots (Perfect), Turner, Forbes, McAvoy (Oldham), Cullumbine (Daniels).

The Reserves had a disappointing afternoon losing 2-0 at Anglian Combination Division Five South’s bottom club Harleston Town Reserves. The reverse saw The Bloaters slip from top spot to third place. The Reserves face a tough game at Corton Seltic tomorrow.The second string were coming off the back of a 7-0 win at Freethorpe Reserves.

Even the sending off of Joseph Blake did not upset the rhythm of the side. Karl Barnard’s hat-trick, his first goals for the club, was backed up with strikes from Toby Gorbould, Deividas Andriuskevicius, Edwin Bamfo and Charlie McAra.

In a fixture which has traditionally been hard to get any reward from The young Bloaters fought hard to get a deserved point and move into top spot in Under 18 division. Wroxham held a 1-0 lead until the last minutes when George Yusuff popped up to score the equalising goal.