Bloaters officially safe

Great Yarmouth Town 0, Hadeigh United 2

Yarmouth boss Paul Tong was diplomatic after Saturday’s game.

“It was a disappointing result, especially after our excellent midweek performance.

“It’s something we’ve come to expect, our youngsters are struggling to come to terms with two matches a week.

“Compared to last season, every match is more competitive and it’s a big step up from the First Division, but we will learn from it and be stronger from it”

Despite the defeat, other results made the Bloater’s Premier status secure, writes Colin Jones.

“Now, we’re mathematically safe, but despite that the atmosphere in the dressing room was sombre after the match despite securing our senior status,” said Tong.

Most Read

Tomorrow, the team travel to Stanway, a team that beat Yarmouth 2-0 back in October.

Glen Spooner is available for selection again and Adey Ager should be in the squad but the Yarmouth management are keen to protect the player from sustaining further injuries after his long lay-off, but with Gareth Palmer picking up a knock against Hadleigh he may be risked.

Hadleigh had a comfortable victory at the Wellesley.

Eddie Short and Johnny Miller both made their first starts for Yarmouth, replacing knee injury victims Luke Fell and Adey Ager.

The latter made the bench but Fell was unable to make the squad. Glen Spooner was unavailable and so Jake Hart was also drafted into the squad.

The first effort on goal came from Hadleigh but Jake Jessup in goal was equal to the shot.

Yarmouth fashioned a chance, Gavin Norman beating a defender and getting a shot away. The effort was saved but not held, Norman pounced onto the rebound but this time his effort was held.

The impressive Ben Deacon opened the scoring on 20 minutes, the busy striker lobbing Jessup with a well-executed finish.

Hadleigh continued to create the better chances and the movement of forwards Deacon and Mayhew often stretched the Yarmouth defence.

On 33 minutes the ball was in the Yarmouth net again, but the goal was disallowed for offside. Yarmouth had their best chances of the half in the final minutes. Jo Bell struck a free-kick which was well gathered and then came a good move.

From a throw deep in their own half, Jake Reed headed onto Norman and the captain put the ball forward to Scott Woodcock. He ran with the ball and crossed for Reed but his header went wide.

The first real chance of the second half also fell to Yarmouth. James Page crossed from the right, Reed challenged the Hadleigh keeper Johnson but the ball went out for a goal kick.

An even better chance fell to Hadleigh. They were one on one with Jessup but the Yarmouth goalkeeper came out and put the striker under enough pressure for him to screw his shot wide.

Manager Tong replaced Miller, who has suffered a difficult season due to injuries, with George Barnden on 67 minutes but Hadleigh still had the better of play.

Mayhew found himself clear of every Yarmouth defender except Short and the young centre-back did well to hold the player up. Then Deacon had a decent effort from distance which sailed over the bar.

Jessup denied Deacon with another one-on-one before the game was settled on 78 minutes. A scramble in the Yarmouth area was capitalised on by Daryl Alexander.

Tong made a double substitution with Ager replacing the injured Gareth Palmer and Hart replacing Jo Bell, but it was to no avail as Hadeligh extended their unbeaten run to eight games.

Team: Jessup, Page, Bell (Hart 80), Palmer (Ager 80), Short, Catchpole, Miller (Barnden 67), Smith, Norman, Reed, Woodcock. All subs used. Att: 69.

Great Yarmouth Reserves 4, Norwich United Reserves 3

Goals from Ollie McCarthy, Joe Bryanton and a brace from George Barnden was enough to down Norwich United Reserves on Tuesday evening.

Yarmouth started very brightly with some good passing movements and were rewarded seven minutes in. A corner was drifted in and the first effort was saved. A second hit the underside of the bar and the ball was slotted in at the third attempt by McCarthy.

Yarmouth continued to dominate and doubled their lead with 20 minutes on the clock, Bryanton slotting in after a cross into feet.

Norwich United had to wait until the 26th minute for their first effort on target, which was well cleared off the line, and then Yarmouth had another chance. McCarthy beat the offside but the United keeper came out well to deny him.

Before half-time Souza’s poor throw was seized upon by Bannett and the United player ran into the box and beat Souza at his near post.

After half-time it was another mistake by Yarmouth that levelled the scores. A mis-hit pass back allowed Bannett to score his second of the match.

On 57 minutes a United shot from well outside the area found the net after another poor Yarmouth clearance.

Five minutes later parity was restored, Barnden with a header making it 3-3. Barnden struck again shortly after his initial effort was saved off the line.

Ivan Powell was thanked for stepping in at the last minute to officiate.

Team: Souza, Spooner, Short, Hart (Hanks), Gorbould (Hume), Barnard, Watson (Kemp), Barnden, Gardiner, McCarthy, Bryanton. All subs used. Goals: McCarthy, Bryanton, Barnden 2. Att: 20.

The Reserves are at home on Saturday in the local derby against Gorleston Reserves, 3pm.

The Men’s Sunday side did not play their fixture on Sunday when due to face league leaders Camden Tavern.

The Ladies, up against third-placed Coltishall Jaguars, were beaten 7-1 in what Frankie said was a “poor performance.”

Both Academy sides were victorious. The U14 side beat St Benets Wasps A 11-0 whilst the U11s beat Halesworth 6-0. The U16 side have completed their season.

Sunday fixtures: Men v Windmill (away), Ladies v Acle (away), U14 v Waveney Yth (away), U11 v Gorleston (home).