Bloaters reach first cup semi-final for nine years

PUBLISHED: 22:09 15 February 2013 | UPDATED: 22:09 15 February 2013

Leighton Crux challenges for the ball during the Bloaters emphatic cup win

Leighton Crux challenges for the ball during the Bloaters emphatic cup win

Steve Wood

Great Yarmouth Town 3 March Town United 1

Yarmouth secured their place in the Thurlow Nunn Division One Knockout Cup semi-final with a comfortable 3-1 win against March Town United.

Goals from Josh Thomas and Joel Watts before the break put the Bloaters in control, with Mitch Forbes securing the win on the hour mark.

Lewis Thompson scored a consolation for the visitors from the penalty spot after Yarmouth were penalised for handball 10 minutes from time.

But Yarmouth booked their place in the semi-final, where they will face Ipswich Wanderers.

The visitors had the first chance after four minutes, a clearance from Johnny Jarvis fell to Danny Emmington in the box, but Jarvis turned the Hares’ striker’s shot round the post.

From a corner a minute later Jarvis pulled off a classy save to stop Robbie Master’s header from reaching the top corner.

On the quarter hour mark a lofted ball allowed Toby Ogbonna a shooting chance, but the pressure of George Barnden forced the front-man to fire into the side netting.

Instead Yarmouth took the lead on 20 minutes on the counter-attack. Mitch Forbes’ clearance allowed Joel Watts to burst into the visitor’s half, before picking out Josh Thomas to chip keeper Ben Collett from 20 yards.

Minutes later Thomas almost turned provider for Watts, threading the ball through after a good move on the right, but the striker’s well hit shot was parried by Collett.

From the resulting corner Robin Andersen had a close range effort stopped by the Hares’ keeper.

And on the stroke of half time the Bloaters doubled the lead from another counter-attack. Josh Thomas’s clearance released Mitch Forbes, who picked out Joel Watts to slot home from12 yards.

Yarmouth continued on the offensive after the break.

Mitch Forbes forced a good save from Ben Collett after latching onto a lofted ball, while on 55 minutes Forbes was unlucky to hit the side netting following Callum Jones’ through ball. Not to be denied Forbes got his name on the score sheet on the hour mark. A Yarmouth free kick – after Leighton Crux was felled – was cleared only as far as Callum Jones to cross into the area towards Neil McMorran to flick-on for Mitch Forbes to lob the onrushing keeper Ben Collett. Soon after Rorie Burnett made way for Jordan Forbes and Charlie McAra replaced Joel Watts. Leighton Crux headed a Callum Jones cross over the bar before making way for Marian Jobbagy. On 80 minutes March were given a way back into the game as Neil McMorran was harshly penalised for handball, and Lewis Thompson slotted home the resulting spot kick.From the restart Josh Thomas could have restored the three goal advantage but fired over from McAra’s ball in from the right.

A minute later Marian Jobbagy was felled by Ben Lemmon – the Hares’ defender earning a yellow card – and from it George Barnden rose highest but headed over. There were yellows apiece in the space of five minutes as the referee slowly lost control. Barnden was cautioned for dissent and then Robbie Masters shown yellow for a foul on Josh Thomas.

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Great Yarmouth Mercury. Click the link in the orange box below for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years, through good times and bad, serving as your advocate and trusted source of local information. Our industry is facing testing times, which is why I’m asking for your support. Every single contribution will help us continue to produce award-winning local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Thank you.

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Great Yarmouth Mercury