Bloaters win seven-goal thriller to seal fifth spot
- Credit: Archant
Yarmouth Town came out on top in a seven goal thriller at Hadleigh to secure a fine fifth place finish in the top flight of the Thurlow Nunn League.
The Bloaters were without skipper Andersen, leading scorer Forbes, Taylor and midfield playmaker Applegate and had to dig deep into the squad.
Josh Ford continued at centre-back after some impressive recent displays and there was a welcome return for Jamie George.
After a whirlwind start, with the visitors having more than their fair share of the ball, the breakthrough came in the 35th minute, Sean Perfect robbed a defender deep in home territory and the ball fell to another United player and Perfect stole the ball for a second time and ran through to score a fine individual goal.
It was 2-0 to the Bloaters two minutes later as Cruise Nydazayo’s persistence paid off and he rolled a pass into George who thumped home from close range. The Brettsiders got a goal back just before half-time as a shot from distance bounced back to Sharp who prodded the ball home.
You may also want to watch:
From the restart the visitors created three good chances in as many minutes but none of them went in and Veitchthen found himself some space and unleashed a powerful volley that brought an equaliser for the hosts.
The home side now sensed an opportunity to get something from the match and a spectacular volley by Cassell flew wide. Five minutes later, in this end-to-end match, the Bloaters regained the lead as a great ball by Kyle Howell found George in space and he hit a fine volley on the turn into the net, to cap a fine performance.
- 1 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 2 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 3 'One of a kind' home with golf simulator and gym is for sale for £795,000
- 4 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 5 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 6 Killer shrimp 'no-fishing' barriers torn down by vandals in the Broads
- 7 Drug-dealers caught in undercover police sting
- 8 Myleene Klass reveals heartbreak of miscarriage while on live radio
- 9 'Too many holiday homes' - Residents object to conversion bid
- 10 £250,000 of cannabis found in two cars on A11
Veteran striker Chris Holmes was then sent on as the Bloaters reshaped and two minutes later he was denied a spectacular goal as his overhead kick was brilliantly saved by Mansfield.
With 10 minutes left Nydazayo sprinted past his defender and unleashed a shot from fully 35 yards out and with keeper Mansfield caught off his line the ball flew into the top corner of the net for a brilliant fourth goal.
Alex Armes was then introduced to the action with three minutes left on the clock and his first touch was a foul on Cassell that brought a penalty for the hosts that was converted to set up a nervy ending for the visitors.
Great Yarmouth Town: Putnins, Savage, Bartram, Ager, Ford, Nydazayo, Swatman, Perfect, George, Davis. Subs: Holmes, Armes, Bond, Catchpole.