Bloaters win seven-goal thriller to seal fifth spot
- Credit: Archant
Yarmouth Town came out on top in a seven goal thriller at Hadleigh to secure a fine fifth place finish in the top flight of the Thurlow Nunn League.
The Bloaters were without skipper Andersen, leading scorer Forbes, Taylor and midfield playmaker Applegate and had to dig deep into the squad.
Josh Ford continued at centre-back after some impressive recent displays and there was a welcome return for Jamie George.
After a whirlwind start, with the visitors having more than their fair share of the ball, the breakthrough came in the 35th minute, Sean Perfect robbed a defender deep in home territory and the ball fell to another United player and Perfect stole the ball for a second time and ran through to score a fine individual goal.
It was 2-0 to the Bloaters two minutes later as Cruise Nydazayo’s persistence paid off and he rolled a pass into George who thumped home from close range. The Brettsiders got a goal back just before half-time as a shot from distance bounced back to Sharp who prodded the ball home.
You may also want to watch:
From the restart the visitors created three good chances in as many minutes but none of them went in and Veitchthen found himself some space and unleashed a powerful volley that brought an equaliser for the hosts.
The home side now sensed an opportunity to get something from the match and a spectacular volley by Cassell flew wide. Five minutes later, in this end-to-end match, the Bloaters regained the lead as a great ball by Kyle Howell found George in space and he hit a fine volley on the turn into the net, to cap a fine performance.
- 1 Woman's third bid to have guesthouse converted into HMO rejected
- 2 Beach and dunes depleted by 'massive forces' as high tides hit
- 3 'We will have to work at it' - mixed reaction as Great Yarmouth in tier 2
- 4 'I think it's pretty fair' - Great Yarmouth people react to Tier 2 announcement
- 5 Several weeks into lockdown, Norfolk sees sharp decline in coronavirus infection rates
- 6 Taxi driver stole more than £17,000 from his employer
- 7 Construction of £26m Marina Centre to begin in coming weeks
- 8 'I gave it a good run': Postmistress of 27 years retires due to Covid
- 9 'Give it back' - Man's plea after his moped is stolen
- 10 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks
Veteran striker Chris Holmes was then sent on as the Bloaters reshaped and two minutes later he was denied a spectacular goal as his overhead kick was brilliantly saved by Mansfield.
With 10 minutes left Nydazayo sprinted past his defender and unleashed a shot from fully 35 yards out and with keeper Mansfield caught off his line the ball flew into the top corner of the net for a brilliant fourth goal.
Alex Armes was then introduced to the action with three minutes left on the clock and his first touch was a foul on Cassell that brought a penalty for the hosts that was converted to set up a nervy ending for the visitors.
Great Yarmouth Town: Putnins, Savage, Bartram, Ager, Ford, Nydazayo, Swatman, Perfect, George, Davis. Subs: Holmes, Armes, Bond, Catchpole.