Bonus point win keeps Broadland-GY title push on track
Felixstowe 5 Broadland–GY 43
Broadland–GY travelled to Felixstowe needing a bonus point win if they are to challenge Swaffham for the Eastern Counties Two title.
It took some hard work against a very determined and young Felixstowe side, but the bonus point was secured as the Great Yarmouth side put in seven tries. It was also a memorable day for Veteran flanker Asa Morrison who made his 350th first team appearance.
Broadland started well and moved the ball wide quickly through the hands; Tom Weston exploited a gap to score in the corner. Felixstowe were forced into a pattern of kicking clear which Broadland were wasting no time in counter attacking. Simon Ruddick got the ball moving quickly, Simon Coleman bounced through a tackle into open space, and offloaded to Asa Morrison. Morrison carried into the 22, cut wide to pass out to Wing Ben Collings who was there to finish with a score in the corner. The momentum continued with Stuart Murray putting an inch perfect pass to Jonno Stanhope-Smith who raced through to score under the posts.
Broadland managed to manoeuvre themselves to a five meter lineout, a drive saw Chris Hewitt carry the ball in close, before Kieran Wilkes Dived over from Close range. Broadland held a commanding 29-0 half time lead. Broadland added another score early in the half as Simon Coleman lowered his shoulder and powered over for a score. Felixstowe did have their moment and an attacking line was disrupted, the ball bounced and in the melee Felixstowe managed to pick off a loose pass, to score. Broadland composed themselves and worked hard for the next try, some good running from Adam Towfighi moved the ball into Felixstowe’s half. Mason Jerome and Jimmy Dwyer worked to make the hard yards and tie in the defence, Ruddick spun wide, Sean Howley broke clear, and off loaded to Stacey Ledgerwood, Ledgerwood beat his man and then put Tom Weston in Clear for his Second score.
Felixstowe came close to a second as they turned ball over and kicked deep, it was only some great work from Nick Rose that prevented a score. With time beginning to run down Broadland began to move the ball through the Hands of Matt Beckett and Ryan Gallie, Ledgerwood had another great run inside the five meter line, and with some great work at the breakdown from Phil Buckley, Murray seized opportunity to nip between two players to score.
Tries: Weston 2, Collings, Coleman, Wilkes, Murray, Stanhope-Smith
- 1 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
- 2 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 3 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 4 Rollesby mum shares heartbreak after death of her seven-year-old daughter
- 5 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 6 Work begins on £3m Great Yarmouth council flats development
- 7 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 8 Tributes to 'wonderful' school head who loved to see children learn
- 9 Pleasure Beach to hold fireworks spectacular for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 10 'Spectacular' parade of horses to celebrate Queen's Jubilee on Golden Mile
Con: Murray 4 of 7
Comm-Tech Man of the Match: Stacey Ledgerwood
Team: J Dwyer, P Buckley (captain), M Jerome, K Wilkes, S Coleman, A Morrison, C Hewitt, A Towfighi, S Ruddick, S Murray, S Ledgerwood, S Howley, T Weston, B Collings, J Stanhope-Smith. Replacements: R Gallie, N Rose, M Beckett.