Boost for Gorleston golfer Goffin’s Dubai bid
Gorleston Golf Club
Despite a damp start the Men’s Midweek Stableford saw a number of good scores returned with holes 1, 3 and 10 all seeing their fair share of birdies.
Winner of Division One was Andy Clifford with a score of 37 points while four players in Division Two similarly scored 37 points but were beaten by Anthony Wren returned a score of 38 to top the list.
The re-arranged Men’s December Stableford was played on Sunday and many of the 87 competitors struggled in the strong winds and returned low scores. However, there were exceptions with the best performance of the day coming from Eric Barnes whose splendid score of 41 points in the tough conditions earned the plaudits in the clubhouse and for Eric the Division Two prize.
Victor in Division One was Reg Cavender with 35 points whilst in Division Three Mick Henwood recorded his third win already in 2012 recording 36 points to beat Mark Harrison on countback.
You may also want to watch:
This Sunday the Men’s team begin their competitive year with the visit of Southwold in the first round of the Mail on Sunday National Golf Classic and hopefully begin their trek towards glory. A strong team is available but they will have to be at their best to beat a Southwold team who last year won the Suffolk County Hambro Cup, so a very tough encounter is likely and the team will welcome support on Sunday morning for the five games of matchplay.
Patrick Goffin received some welcome news this week after reaching the fifth round of the Race to Dubai Championships. A bye has been received for this final qualifying round which sends Patrick directly to the regional finals at the Forest of Arden Golf Club in April. The top five finishers progress directly to Dubai for an all-expenses paid week in the sun.
- 1 Fresh bid to knock down village pub for homes and shops
- 2 Beach and dunes depleted by 'massive forces' as high tides hit
- 3 Taxi driver stole more than £17,000 from his employer
- 4 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks
- 5 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 6 'The most difficult one yet' - Knitting queen displays her latest creation
- 7 Norfolk sees significant falls in Covid cases, figures show
- 8 Search for woman, 64, missing from residential home
- 9 Woman missing from residential home found 'safe and well' after search
- 10 'Appalling' - bid for flat-pack flats sparks anger on coast