Brantham dent Gorleston’s proud record

Gorleston are back on the road to Wembley this week in the FA Vase when First Division Newmarket Town visit Emerald Park, kick off 3.

The Jockey’s have won six of their seven games this season, their only defeat coming in the FA Cup. In the First Qualifying Round of the Vase they defeated Premier Division side Mildenhall 3-2 after extra time, so the Greens know they will be in for a more difficult task than in the last round against Yarmouth.

Next week its back to league action with two games that will threaten their unbeaten start.

On Tuesday night the Greens travel to Dereham for a ‘top of the table’ clash with the Magpies also unbeaten and sitting top of the tree. Next Saturday Wisbech visit Emerald Park.

Brantham Athletic 1 Gorleston 1


Gorleston’s 100% league start came to an end but they remain unbeaten and moved up to second in the table.

Most Read

Before the match this game, against a side that had finished third in the previous campaign and had beaten one of the title favourites Wisbech in their previous league game, was considered something of a benchmark as to the sort of season Gorleston fans could expect.

The Greens made two changes from the side that had beaten Thetford. Christy Finch replaced Bradley Hough who had a slight knock and Chris Sandford returned from injury, replacing George Jermy who had to be content with a place on the bench.

In weather more in keeping with the cricket pitch next door, Gorleston made a bright start. Liam Harvey-Cooper had an eighth minute shot go straight at the keeper before the Greens took the lead three minutes later.

Andy Howell was fouled 25 yards out, which was the cue for a trademark Ricci Butler free kick which he bent around the wall, via a deflection, into the top corner.

Brantham responded and three minutes later Ben Deacon burst through the defence but Elliot Pride narrowed the angle and Deacon dragged his shot wide.

Christy Finch also dragged a shot wide at the other end when he latched onto a Butler free ball.

Five minutes before the break Brantham pressure from a corner resulted in big shouts from them for a handball in the penalty area, however the referee waved away their appeal.

A minute later the dangerous Deacon turned just inside the area and fired goalwards but Pride was equal to it, pushing the ball away.

Five minutes into the second half Gorleston were almost caught on a break from their own corner. Fortunately for the Greens, Kieran Lawler’s cross from the right couldn’t find a team mate in front of goal.

An Eddie Thompson nod back from a Gary Williams cross found Finch’s head but he couldn’t get any power on it before, at the other end, Michael Brothers, who looked Brantham’s biggest threat, fired a shot just wide.

Sandford almost wriggled his way past two defenders but found his path blocked.

Brantham equalised in the 63rd minute.

Howell challenged Brothers in the box with the latter making the most of it and going down, the referee pointing to the spot.

Ben Garnham made no mistake, sending Pride the wrong way.

Jack Marsden and David Hinton came on and the Greens gained more possession in the middle of the park and it was Marsden who came closest to netting when an effort was deflected wide from a Steve Taylor nod back.

Two minutes later Williams picked out Taylor but his shot was saved. Brantham went up the other end and Brothers dribbled across the area, evading several challenges and Pride before Howell eventually cleared the shot off the line.

With fifteen minutes remaining Brothers turned creator when his cross found Joshua Mayhew but his header from close range was superbly saved by Pride, a save that would have graced the Premier League.

Pride also had to react well to keep out another header, this time from Matthew Ryland, as Brantham went all out for a winner.

Pride again worked wonders in injury time, somehow denying both Brothers and Mayhew, to ensure his side remained unbeaten and returned home with a point.

Gorleston: Elliot Pride, Adam Mills, Reece Hunn, Gary Williams, Andy Howell, Eddie Thompson, Chris Sandford (Jack Marsden 68), Ricci Butler (Jack Garrod 78), Christy Finch, Steve Taylor, Liam Harvey-Cooper (David Hinton 59)

Bookings: Howell 63

Goal: Butler 11;

Brantham Athletic: Ryan Bedingfield, Simon Mann, Matthew Ryland, Alex Drennan, Jack Sibbons, Kieran Lawler, Ben Garnham, Michael Brothers, Ben Deacon (Joshua Mayhew 62), Lee Grimwood (David Grimwood 75), Sean Gunn (Daniel Pryke 78)

Goal: Garnham 63

Attendance 49

Gorleston Reserves 5 Leiston Reserves 0

Gorleston’s second string continued their 100% start to the season with victory over Leiston last week.

Liam Fuller hit a hat trick, already his second treble of the season. Fuller has hit the net eight times in the four games so far. The other goals came from Keegan Middleton and Craig Sartain.

The Reserves have this Saturday off but are back in action on Tuesday 18th September when they travel to Thetford for the third game in this seasons Chell Trophy.

Under 18s Sponsorship

Gorleston FC has announced that Moughton Engineering will be sponsoring their Under 18 side this season.

The club are delighted that a local firm has agreed to sponsor the youth team kit, which will carry the Moughton Engineering logo, and special thanks go to Paul Moughton, who is pleased to help his local community team.

Moughton Engineering have sponsored the Greens in several ways over the years and it is hoped this will continue into the future, as well as encouraging other companies in the area to become involved with their town’s football team.

Pictured is Company Director Mr Paul Moughton, handing over the new strip to captain Dominic Docherty, watched by Chairman Alan Gordon, left, and Under 18s manager Glyn Hopkins prior to the Under 18s first league game of the season last week against Wroxham.

The Under 18s didn’t get off to the start they wanted in that match, with Wroxham running out 7-0 winners.

There were extenuating circumstances however, with the Greens having to replace goalkeeper Sam Gordon just minutes before kick off after he dislocated a finger in the warm up.

Not only did the side lose their goalkeeper but they also had to reshape their line up with midfielder Jackson Williams beginning the game between the sticks.

Against a strong Wroxham side, with Gorleston fielding a number of lads in their first year at this level, it was always going to be tough.

The Yachtsmen took a 16th minute lead through a penalty and increased their advantage twelve minutes later following a free kick.

A mistake at the back cost another goal before half time.

Gorleston were better in the second half as they adjusted more to the pace and strength needed for the game but another slip saw them punished once more. Wroxham added three more in the final twenty minutes as the Greens tired.

Next Thursday, the 20th September, the Under 18s face another difficult tie against Harford CEYMS at Plantation Park, Blofield. Harford began their campaign by beating Lowestoft 6-0.