Broadland-Great Yarmouth all square
Broadland-Great Yarmouth 5, Mistley 5LAST week's fixture was almost a very rare 0-0 draw as it was not until the 72nd minute that Mistley scored the first points of the game with an unconverted try.
Broadland-Great Yarmouth 5, Mistley 5
LAST week's fixture was almost a very rare 0-0 draw as it was not until the 72nd minute that Mistley scored the first points of the game with an unconverted try. Broadland-Great Yarmouth matched this minutes later, leaving it all square at the final whistle.
The match started as if it would be a high-scoring afternoon as both sides used expansive play, but good defence from both sides prevented a score.
Broadland had a penalty go wide, and both teams utilised a strong kicking game with Broadland full- back Jake Sewell fielding a number of difficult kicks and instigating counter-attacks.
Broadland came close with Chiddle and Weston both driving close to the goal line. Flanker Asa Morrison had a half-chance when Mistley failed to clear, but the bounce of the ball did not go Broadland's way.
Scrum-half Simon Ruddick was driving the forwards with some noticeable improvement in the maul compared to previous weeks. The half, however, concluded with no score.
- 1 Landlord finds 20 rabbits abandoned at home after tenants move out
- 2 Driver caught at speeds of nearly 100mph also found to have no licence
- 3 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 4 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 5 From schools to shops: All you need to know about living in Gorleston
- 6 Father still searching six months after Pawel Martyniak went missing
- 7 Winterton beach poses as Sydney's Bondi in new movie
- 8 5 of the best places to spot celebrities in and around Yarmouth
- 9 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 10 8 places where you can see fireworks for free in Norfolk for the jubilee
The midfield battle continued for much of the second half and it was only in the last 10 minutes that Mistley's scrum half managed to pick up a loose ball at the back of the scrum and two passes later and the Essex side scored in the corner (unconverted).
Broadland kicked off with intent, and with possession won began to drive forward with some great work from Adam Towfighi and Ed Dixon. The ball was moved over the 22 metre line and a penalty was awarded.
With time running down Broadland went for the try.
A surge from the forwards put captain Matt Beckett in a bit of space, and he lowered his head to drive at the line.
Initially held back, Beckett managed to turn and get the ball over (uncoverted).
Broadland pushed Mistley in the dying minutes and wing Liam Howlett came close as the match finished with the ball only a few meters from Mistley's goal line.
Tries: Beckett. Con: Doggett 0 of 1.
Pen: Doggett 0 of 1.
Team: J Sewell, J Webster, P Buckley, S Ledgerwood, L Howlett, J Doggett, S Ruddick S Weston, R Bilyard, R Gallie, R Chiddle, N Bensley, A Morrison, E Dixon. A Towfighi. Replacements: M Beckett (40), S French (50).
For more information on playing rugby, youth or senior, or becoming involved in helping run the only rugby club in Great Yarmouth visit www.broadlandrfc.com