Broadland - Great Yarmouth friendly marred by a nasty injury
- Credit: Archant
Broadland – Great Yarmouth’s season began last weekend with a pre-season friendly against a strong Norwich second XV team.
The match saw first-team debuts for prop Martin Greenwood and wing Callum Black as they made their bows in a 36-7 defeat.
Norwich started with intent, and although the Great Yarmouth side cleared initially, a break wide saw the hosts take an early lead. Broadland worked hard to move the ball downfield and should have done better from a scrum eight metres out, but Norwich were able to gain position and clear.
Martin Greenwood and Stuart Brown had some fine runs, and Broadland were showing some excellent support. A serious injury to lock Sam French halted play for 20 minutes and resulted in the teams moving pitches while the player was treated.
Norwich again proved clinical in attack as they broke to score wide and a second score before the break gave them a comfortable 17-0 lead.
The second half started with some good play in the line-out. Captain Phil Buckley was connecting well with both Kevin Tierney and Asa Morrison and Callum Black had a great 50-metre run down the wing, but Norwich cover tackles came across field to prevent a score. Norwich took an opportunity and with a missed tackle went through to score.
From the kick-off Broadland moved the ball well with Richard Bristo and Kieran Wilkes making good ground. Scrum-half Collings spun the ball out to fly-half Marcus Lekerman, who chipped over the line for Ant Payne to collect. Payne made some good ground before off-loading in the tackle to Leighton Buckley. Buckley evaded a tackle before going 40 metres to score, with Black converting.
- 1 Man who raped teen jailed for six years
- 2 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 3 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 4 Date set for road reopening after sewer collapse
- 5 Four men arrested following altercation by Great Yarmouth pub
- 6 CCTV released of Great Yarmouth man whose body part was found on beach
- 7 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 8 'Well-respected' tattoo artist died at home after taking cocaine
- 9 Hospital opens £1.2m eye operation theatre to cut waiting times
- 10 TV show filmed in Norfolk starring Ainsley Harriott to air this month
Broadland maintained the attacking tempo and some good work from Simon Ruddick created some space for veteran wing Matt Scott to break outside, with good defensive work from Norwich preventing the score. Norwich finished the match with a couple of scores to put the game well beyond reach but overall it was a positive performance against a good side.
Man of the Mmatch – Kevin Tierney. Tomorrow the first XV host Dereham in a second pre-season friendly (3pm).