Broadland-Great Yarmouth open doors to 71 teams!
- Credit: Archant
Broadland-Great Yarmouth RFC, in partnership with Sports Tours, hosted its biggest event in the club’s 30-year history, when 71 youth and mini teams from around the country took part in two days of rugby at the club.
The festival had dedicated competitions for Under 7s through to Under 14s rugby teams, across 11 pitches at Cobholm playing fields, Great Yarmouth.
Clubs visiting Broadland-Great Yarmouth for the weekend came from as far afield as Hull, Mansfield, Blackheath and Daventry. Clubs from around the country were joined by Norfolk teams, Wymondham, Lakenham-Hewitt, North Walsham and Norwich. As hosts, Broadland-Great Yarmouth RFC also fielded teams in the U7, U8 and U9 age groups.
There was some Norfolk success with North Walsham winning the U14 competition and Wymondham winning the Under 8 event, Wymondham U7 also managed a third-place finish in the youngest age group. Broadland–Great Yarmouth’s teams battled well but the U7, U8 and U9 did not make a top-three finish. The U7s did perform well, losing 6-5 to eventual winners Chesham Stags. Broadland Great-Yarmouth U8s had a thrilling game against North Walsham but lost 8-7 on the last play of the game, but did manage to beat Lakenham–Hewitt 1-0 in their following match. The under 9s game drew a big crowd as the match finally finished 4-4 versus Herford U9s.
Event manager for Broadland-Great Yarmouth RFC Asa Morrison said: “It was a great event for the whole club, and a huge thank you to everyone who gave up their time.”
Youth chairman Adam Vincent added: “It was a really good opportunity for our young players to play teams from around the country. They all had a great day and are looking forward to next year.”
It was an exceptionally busy weekend at the club and with over 2,500 attendees on each day, a large number of club members supported the event in a voluntary capacity running stalls, the bar and BBQ. The event was supported by the Norfolk Referees Society who took charge of over 250 games across the weekend.
- 1 Man who raped teen jailed for six years
- 2 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 3 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 4 Date set for road reopening after sewer collapse
- 5 CCTV released of Great Yarmouth man whose body part was found on beach
- 6 Four men arrested following altercation by Great Yarmouth pub
- 7 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 8 'Well-respected' tattoo artist died at home after taking cocaine
- 9 Hospital opens £1.2m eye operation theatre to cut waiting times
- 10 TV show filmed in Norfolk starring Ainsley Harriott to air this month
For details about rugby in Great Yarmouth go to www.pitchero.com/clubs/broadlandgreatyarmouthrugbyclub.co.uk.