Broadland-GY salvage a draw after losing grip against Medics
- Credit: Archant
Broadland–GY 14 Norwich Medics 14
Broadland-GY almost threw away an 11-point lead, and only a final push saw them hold on for a draw.
The Great Yarmouth side started well with Simon Coleman taking good clean ball at an attacking line-out. Broadland set the maul and moved closer to the medic’s goal line.
Rye Bilyard saw an opportunity and broke to score (unconverted). Disaster struck Broadland when flanker Richard Ruddick went down, with what was a suspected broken ankle forcing the home side to make an early change with Ryan Gallie coming on to the back row.
This was followed by an injury to centre Mossie, who was replaced by Howley.
Broadland continued with the pressure and were rewarded with two penalty kicks from Stuart Murray to lead 11-0 at the half.
The half began well but it all took a turn for the worse as hooker Rye Bilyard was shown the red card, reducing Broadland to 14 men. Medics utilised the man advantage and were soon on the scoreboard with a converted try following a turnover.
- 1 Sammy, 6, finds 'once-in-a-lifetime' rare fossil on beach
- 2 Bid to extend life of quarry in Broads' village to 85 years
- 3 Six ways Yarmouth wants to solve its housing crisis and 'compete with Norwich'
- 4 Man died on 50th birthday at Norfolk coastal campsite
- 5 Gorleston murder accused not yet fit to enter plea
- 6 Port boss disappointed over cruise ship non-docking
- 7 Seaside bar taken over for three weeks by Hollywood crew shooting film
- 8 Mayor left waiting as cruise ship can not dock at Yarmouth due to winds
- 9 Birthday card plea for 'amazing' Rita who is turning 108
- 10 Roadworks will see a Gorleston road closed for three months
Broadland worked hard as lock Kieran Wilkes had a great run, but with the defence slowing the ball down, Broadland were awarded a penalty.
Murray stepped up to add three points. Broadland were on a back foot and Medics were pushing hard, eventually going over for a converted try to tie the game.
With two minutes on the clock, Broadland knew they had a chance.
They kicked off and Adam Towfighi disrupted the Medic catch and the ball went loose.
Stacey Ledgerwood somehow managed to get the ball, but Medics were holding on.
With a penalty awarded, Murray stepped up to take a 40-metre kick, into wind on the sideline.
He struck it well and in more favourable conditions would have cleared the uprights, but it drifted off to the right, for Medics to catch and clear to touch as the whistle sounded.
It was a disappointing result for the Great Yarmouth side, but a draw was certainly preferable to a loss.
Tries: R Bilyard
Con: Murray 0 of 1
Pen: S Murray 3 of 4
Squad: J Dwyer, R Bilyard, M Jerome, K Wilkes, S Coleman, C Hewitt, R Ruddick, A Towfighi, S Murray, P Buckley (c), S Ledgerwood, A Mossie, M White, B Collings,A Sullivan,
Replacements: S Ruddick, R Gallie, S Howley
Tomorrow the 1st XV have a rest week, the 2nd XV travel to Dereham 1st XV in the league and the 3rd XV Visit Lowestoft and Yarmouth 3rd XV in a friendly, both matches kick off at 2.15pm.
For further details about rugby in Great Yarmouth please visit www.broadlandrfc.com