Cammock gets Tigers roaring with hat-trick
Broadland-GY Tigers 34, Holt III 7
RUGBY: Fielding a strong Merit Table side, the Tigers began with some good driving play, with much of the opening period in the Holt 22.
A five-metre scrum led to the first of Cammock’s three tries. The platform the front five gave allowed the flank pairing of J Prescott and T Simmons to run riot in attack and defence, the resulting quick ball setting up scrum-half R Clarke to bring the strike runner in, with prop W Gibbs able to charge into the opposition.
Fellow front-row forward, P Finney, showed class, passing beautifully out of the tackle to feed W Gibbs who cantered down the wing before driving infield to set up more good quality ruck ball.
The Holt defence held firm, repelling waves of attacks, with N Bensley making big holes and L Raven running riot in the midfield from the resulting quick ball. T Barber also made some surging runs, bouncing off would-be tacklers, before leaving the field with an injury (replaced by G Hawkes) with T Simmons moving to the backs.
B-GY’s second score came from a scrum, Cammock breaking blind and powering over the line.
At the break M Beckett, R Taylor, J Dudley and R Bilyard joined the fray.
- 1 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 2 Work begins on £3m Great Yarmouth council flats development
- 3 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
- 4 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 5 Man stopped by police while driving day after admitting he had no licence
- 6 Vets expanding to garage site amid surge in new animal owners
- 7 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 8 Great Yarmouth Pride march postponed amid council criticism
- 9 Your chance to run a takeaway pitch on Gorleston seafront
- 10 Pleasure Beach to hold fireworks spectacular for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
Scrappy play led to a fine try under the posts by Holt. A B-GY try followed from a set-piece scrum with A Payne showing slick hands to put B Trett through a gap in the centres to score.
R Bilyard powered to the line following a quick ruck set by M Beckett.
R Clarke’s try was disallowed in favour of a scrum, however it took only seconds to redress the balance, with R Clarke pouncing on the ball as the Tigers’ pack again pushed their opponents over the try line. The final try came again from a pushover scrum, for Cammock’s hat-trick.
The Tigers are at home tomorrow, to Wymondham III in a Merit Table fixture, 2.15pm. Broadland-Great Yarmouth 1st XV travel to Felixtowe for an Eastern Counties Two clash.
Green Gate MoM: Tigers’ pack.
Tries: Cammock (3), Clarke, Trett, Bilyard. Cons: Hawkes(1), Pollard(1). Team: J Pollard, T Barber, L Raven, B Trett, L Howlett, A Payne, R Clarke (captain), M Camock, T Simmons, J Prescott, N Bensley, K Wilkes, J Dwyer, P Finney, W Gibbs. Replacements: G Hawkes (30), M Beckett (40), R Taylor (40), J Dudley (40), Bilyard (40), L Monson (60).