Carrow Road final dreams end for Greens
Dereham Town 3, Gorleston 1THIS long-awaited Norfolk Senior Cup quarter-final ended in disappointment for the Greens on Tuesday night, writes David Hardy.
Dereham Town 3, Gorleston 1
THIS long-awaited Norfolk Senior Cup quarter-final ended in disappointment for the Greens on Tuesday night, writes David Hardy.
Peter Lambert could have put Gorleston ahead early on, hitting a 20-yarder straight to the keeper after seven minutes. Three minutes later he headed a Steve Taylor cross past the advancing keeper but the ball just failed to dip in time and skimmed off the top of the bar.
Dereham then began to apply some pressure with a series of corners. Adam Smith had two efforts deflected wide and Danny Beaumont almost waltzed through the entire Greens' defence before being denied. Nicky Howell then had a shot deflect off Adam Ferguson onto a post.
Midway through the half a
needless free-kick was given away on Dereham's left which headed emphatically into the Gorleston goal by one of the smallest players on the pitch, Graham Barrett.
- 1 Drone shots show British warship anchored off Yarmouth ahead of Jubilee
- 2 Green light for new Sainsbury's store on 850-home estate
- 3 Mixed feelings for traders as they move into Great Yarmouth's new market
- 4 Work begins on £3m Great Yarmouth council flats development
- 5 Hero boxer rescues man who plunged into river to save dog
- 6 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 7 Pleasure Beach to hold fireworks spectacular for Queen's Platinum Jubilee
- 8 Tributes to 'wonderful' school head who loved to see children learn
- 9 Man stopped by police while driving day after admitting he had no licence
- 10 'Spectacular' parade of horses to celebrate Queen's Jubilee on Golden Mile
Three minutes later the Greens could have equalised after good play. The ball arrived in the middle of the goal but John Bell and Lambert got in each other's way, allowing the Magpies to clear and counter through Smith.
He laid off to Beaumont on the left whose cross found Nicky Howell alone in the box for a simple tap-in.
Dereham could have extended their lead early in the second half when Beaumont broke clear, but Elliot Pride was out fast to save.
Kyle Howell, Neil Hurren and Steve Taylor then linked up well, but Hurren miss-hit the shot. Hurren then had a header from a Lambert flick go straight to the keeper.
Robbie Oldham came on to beef
up the midfield and made an immediate impact.
Gorleston were playing better and putting up a spirited display and a Hurren volley flew just wide.
A Jamie Stockeld cross-field pass found Hurren, whose cross was palmed out by the keeper but met by subsititute Mitch Forbes who blasted the ball into the net.
Ten minutes from time there was more hope the visitors when Beaumont was sent off for a second yellow card offence, but with Gorleston in attack mode looking for an equaliser Smith broke and squared to Kenny Reeves for a simple goal to end Greens' dreams a Carrow Road final.
Team: Elliot Pride, Kyle Howell (Robbie Oldham 57), Thomas Daniels (Mitch Forbes 67), Adam Ferguson, Adam Thurtle, Eddie Thompson, Jamie Stockeld, John Bell, Peter Lambert, Steve Taylor, Neil Hurren.