Carrow Road joy for Windmill
- Credit: Archant
Goals from Chad Pillar, Mitch McKay, Aaron Hogg and Connor Ingram saw Windmill beat ten-man CSKA Emneth in extra-time in the final of the Norfolk Sunday Senior Cup at Carrow Road on Wednesday evening.
The Great Yarmouth Sunday League champions had been beaten in their previous two finals in 2013 and 2014 but it was a case of third time lucky this time as they came from behind to see off their King’s Lynn League opponents.
Windmill went behind when Aaron McKenna’s thumping header found the back ot the net but as the first half progressed they began to get a foothold in the game and got their rewards in the 32nd minute. A well worked move down the left hand side saw Ricci Butler’s cross pick out Pillar at the back post who swivelled and deftly struck his shot into the far corner.
A minute later Windmill grabbed another thanks to substitute Mitch McKay being in the right place at the right time to tap home after a brilliant save from Charlie Congreave.
Another Windmill substitute, John Bell, was played through in the 69th minute as they went in search of a third, but his powerful shot found the side netting.
You may also want to watch:
A poor challenge from the already cautioned David Abbott saw referee Pete Venables send the CSKA winger to the stands but with seconds remaining they launched a last-ditch attack and a clumsy tackle in the box gifted them a lifeline. Lewis Thompson sent Taurean Molloy the wrong way to send the game into extra-time.
Windmill got their noses in front again in the first period when a fortunate deflection fell straight to Hogg, who acrobatically volleyed home. After the interval the game was finally settled as a lofted ball into Ingram saw the young striker coolly slot his effort beneath the keeper.
- 1 Norfolk hospital records first Covid-related death in five days
- 2 Nine Norfolk schools closed or partly shut due to Covid-19 cases
- 3 'The most difficult one yet' - Knitting queen displays her latest creation
- 4 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 5 Dozens of new Covid marshals to become 'the eyes and ears of the districts'
- 6 Anger as pranksters set boats adrift at Norwich Riverside
- 7 Beach and dunes depleted by 'massive forces' as high tides hit
- 8 Ho, ho...go! Santa sleigh run going ahead with rule of six
- 9 'Appalling' - bid for flat-pack flats sparks anger on coast
- 10 'How much money has been spent?' - Street lamp lit for 12 years still not fixed
Windmill: Taurean Molloy, George Yusuff, Scott Woodcock, Connor Deeks, Daniel Goodrum, Aaron Bowers, Scott Butler, Kyle Ingram, Adam Thompson, Chad Pillar, Ricci Butler.
Subs: John Bell, Aaron Hogg, Mitch McKay, Connor Ingram, Lewis Smith.