Centuries for Acle’s Wilson and Huggins
Acle secured a comprehensive win over Mattishall to continue their winning streak in the Alliance First Division on Saturday.
Home team Mattishall won the toss and chose to bowl first, a decision that seemed vindicated when they reduced Acle to 6-2 on a dusty wicket.
Tom Wilson, however, belied the difficult conditions with a series of confident drives to keep the scoreboard moving.
Once the change bowlers were introduced conditions became easier for batting and Wilson and Dave Huggins settled into a confident partnership that had extended to 237 by the time Huggins was bowled for 102.
Wilson continued to dominate the Mattishall bowlers, finishing unbeaten on 148 – a terrific innings featuring five towering sixes and 16 fours – as Acle closed on an imposing 282-4.
In reply Mattishall never looked likely to get close as Geoff Handley and Jon Lee turned in excellent opening spells.
Josh Wilson chipped in with two middle-order wickets as Mattishall sank to 80-6 before a stubborn partnership of 47 held up Acle’s victory charge.
- 1 Motorcylist in 50s in hospital with serious injuries after tyre shop crash
- 2 5 of the best places to spot celebrities in and around Yarmouth
- 3 Landlord finds 20 rabbits abandoned at home after tenants move out
- 4 Driver caught at speeds of nearly 100mph also found to have no licence
- 5 First look as Ainsley Harriott and Grace Dent visit Yarmouth for TV show
- 6 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 7 Father still searching six months after Pawel Martyniak went missing
- 8 Six arrested after Willow the dog finds 'substantial' quantity of drugs
- 9 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 10 The care home bringing people together in its own pub
It was left to young Darren Ward to find the breakthrough and polish off the innings with 3-31, aided by a sniping run-out from Jon Lee.
Man of the match – Tom Wilson for an imperious 148 not out.