Champions elect take all three crucial points from a visit to Acle
- Credit: Archant
Spixworth took a step closer to capturing the league title after defeating current champions Acle 3-0 at Bridewell Lane on Saturday.
With a strong easterly wind at their backs, Spixworth took the early initiative and eventually the lead after five minutes. From a long throw-in, the visitors had an effort blocked on the line but from the resultant corner, Cook converted to put Spixworth 1-0 up.
The home side’s first meaningful attack came after 18 minutes. A flowing move in which Fulcher was pivotal, ended with Gibbons firing wide of the target, but Acle were being forced to defend deep in their own half and a free kick conceded by Smith saw the shot fired straight at Foreman.
Attree was providing the lone threat to the Spixworth defence, but with the hosts on the back-foot support was lacking.
In the final minute of the half, a long ball was missed by the home defence and a scramble in the Acle penalty area saw a shot blocked by D Foreman, rebounding off Smith goalwards before being cleared as the visitors went into the break with only a 1-0 lead.
You may also want to watch:
Within two minutes of the restart, only a fine save by Foreman prevented the visitors from doubling their lead. With the wind in their favour, Acle were able to play a higher line at the back and Attree and played in Gibbons whose ball for Sanders to chase was gathered by the keeper.
A good flowing move by the hosts, which saw the ball played from one side of the pitch to the other, was halted after Wiley’s cross was overhit.
- 1 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
- 2 Taxi driver stole more than £17,000 from his employer
- 3 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks
- 4 Beach and dunes depleted by 'massive forces' as high tides hit
- 5 Construction of £26m Marina Centre to begin in coming weeks
- 6 'Give it back' - Man's plea after his moped is stolen
- 7 All the major Christmas events in Norfolk that can go ahead
- 8 Road closed for two days for resurfacing
- 9 Woman's third bid to have guesthouse converted into HMO rejected
- 10 'I gave it a good run': Postmistress of 27 years retires due to Covid
With 18 minutes remaining, the hosts brought on Carvalho at the expense of defender Gibbons, which saw them play a back three and the Acle sub was soon in the action sending in a dangerous cross, which was half cleared by Spixworth before a shot was blocked and cleared.
However, with Acle pushing forward, a misplaced pass went straight to an opponent, who threaded a ball to Cook, to fire past Foreman to double lead with 12 minutes remaining.
In the closing minutes a mix up between the defence and keeper allowed Tuttle to nip in and steer the ball into an unguarded goal.
Acle: S Foreman, Gibbons (Carvalho). Wiley, D Foreman, Smith, Gibbons, Fulcher, Morgan, Attree, Forder, Sanders. Sub: Sayer.
Tomorrow, Acle travel to Suffolk to play Waveney at Saturn Close, at 2.30pm.