Champions elect take all three crucial points from a visit to Acle

Spixworth's keeper punches clear an Acle corner during last week's 3-0 win. Picture: Richard Giles.

Spixworth's keeper punches clear an Acle corner during last week's 3-0 win. Picture: Richard Giles. - Credit: Archant

Spixworth took a step closer to capturing the league title after defeating current champions Acle 3-0 at Bridewell Lane on Saturday.

With a strong easterly wind at their backs, Spixworth took the early initiative and eventually the lead after five minutes. From a long throw-in, the visitors had an effort blocked on the line but from the resultant corner, Cook converted to put Spixworth 1-0 up.

The home side’s first meaningful attack came after 18 minutes. A flowing move in which Fulcher was pivotal, ended with Gibbons firing wide of the target, but Acle were being forced to defend deep in their own half and a free kick conceded by Smith saw the shot fired straight at Foreman.

Attree was providing the lone threat to the Spixworth defence, but with the hosts on the back-foot support was lacking.

In the final minute of the half, a long ball was missed by the home defence and a scramble in the Acle penalty area saw a shot blocked by D Foreman, rebounding off Smith goalwards before being cleared as the visitors went into the break with only a 1-0 lead.

Within two minutes of the restart, only a fine save by Foreman prevented the visitors from doubling their lead. With the wind in their favour, Acle were able to play a higher line at the back and Attree and played in Gibbons whose ball for Sanders to chase was gathered by the keeper.

A good flowing move by the hosts, which saw the ball played from one side of the pitch to the other, was halted after Wiley’s cross was overhit.

Most Read

With 18 minutes remaining, the hosts brought on Carvalho at the expense of defender Gibbons, which saw them play a back three and the Acle sub was soon in the action sending in a dangerous cross, which was half cleared by Spixworth before a shot was blocked and cleared.

However, with Acle pushing forward, a misplaced pass went straight to an opponent, who threaded a ball to Cook, to fire past Foreman to double lead with 12 minutes remaining.

In the closing minutes a mix up between the defence and keeper allowed Tuttle to nip in and steer the ball into an unguarded goal.

Acle: S Foreman, Gibbons (Carvalho). Wiley, D Foreman, Smith, Gibbons, Fulcher, Morgan, Attree, Forder, Sanders. Sub: Sayer.

Tomorrow, Acle travel to Suffolk to play Waveney at Saturn Close, at 2.30pm.