Cornish goes transatlantic in a bid to further his racing career
- Credit: Archant
Norfolk supermoto ace Lewis Cornish is used to long-haul trips around the world competing in various international events.
Last year he became the only British rider to complete a season in the ultra-competitive French championships and 2017 will bring more of the same thanks to Normandy based RAW Motorsports.
However, this year Lewis will also be clocking up some transatlantic air miles as he takes up the offer of racing in the AMA Supermoto Championships which kicks off in early April in California.
This offer to compete in the series came about following his recent outing in the final round of the FIM Asia Championships in Malaysia. Simon Rushbrooke the Kiwi owner of Tekmo Racing and American racer Steve Alkyer of DRT Racing spoke at length with Lewis about getting him stateside to see how European riders would match up with the best the USA has to offer.
Luckily for Lewis, Tekmo Racing, DRT Racing and TM-USA came to the rescue with the offer of a ‘Factory’ spec 2017 TM450-SMX that’s being built and air-freighted from the Italian manufacturers to California in time for the season opener.
You may also want to watch:
Lewis will be campaigning the Tekmo Racing TM450-SMX in the five-round AMA Championship which spans the USA and also includes a trip to Canada where the bikes will be taking centre stage alongside the World Rally Cross cars in Quebec.
Lewis explained: “Speaking to Steve in Asia he said I should try to get over to the USA and try a few races there. I have raced in Vegas 10 years ago as a junior and I loved the whole thing but I didn’t really think I’d get the chance to go back to compete. But now thanks to some great support from Tekmo Racing and the efforts of promoter Alex Mock (DRT Racing) I’ve got an amazing opportunity. It’s all happened very quickly and I’m so grateful for those that have given me the chance.
- 1 Woman's third bid to have guesthouse converted into HMO rejected
- 2 Beach and dunes depleted by 'massive forces' as high tides hit
- 3 All the major Christmas events in Norfolk that can go ahead
- 4 Taxi driver stole more than £17,000 from his employer
- 5 Construction of £26m Marina Centre to begin in coming weeks
- 6 'I gave it a good run': Postmistress of 27 years retires due to Covid
- 7 'Give it back' - Man's plea after his moped is stolen
- 8 Road closed for two days for resurfacing
- 9 'Gutted' - Thieves take BMW wheels leaving car on bricks
- 10 Town in mourning as nightclub owner who 'loved everybody' dies at 49
“I’m still looking for additional funding to help pay for flights, tyres etc but thanks to Simon at Tekmo I’ll have a top spec 2017 model TM450-SMX upgraded with special parts from my Italian sponsor PZ5 Cobra so I know I’ll have the bike to let me be competitive.
“I’m really looking forward to the challenge and meeting new people involved in the sport and I’ll certainly be giving it everything to get on the podium.”