Daniels brings in battling duo
Gorleston manager Richard Daniels has added a couple of battlers to his highly talented young side to strengthen the bid for promotion, writes John Cushion.
“We are a good footballing side but we are in the wrong division. You have to battle your way out of the Ridgeons First Division. Against higher opposition our football suits.”
Daniels’ battling duo are Darren Cockrill and Aaron Huggins-Bowers. He said Bowers had returned to the club after work took him out of the area. “We had him last season when he was behind our run.”
Daniels is also looking for his players to convert a higher percentage of the chances they are creating. “Every week we are missing so many chances.”
In the recent cup tie at Swaffham, won by the only goal scored with virtually the last kick, the Greens’ boss reckoned his side had 20 chances.
In Saturday’s 3-1 home win over Long Melford his side led 2-0 at the break “but it could have been five or six”.
Bradley Hough, returning to his old Lowestoft form, got the first, Chris Sandford was on target and Daniels’ son Thomas got his first goal for the club.
- 1 Tyson Fury is making a comeback to Gorleston
- 2 Access road for driveways denied to Gorleston residents
- 3 New York, Paris, Peckham, Great Yarmouth - Only Fools stars coming to town
- 4 'The best yet' - Yarmouth's celebration of wheels gearing up for return
- 5 Four men arrested following altercation by Great Yarmouth pub
- 6 Pupils 'not afraid to share ideas' - School praised by Ofsted
- 7 Yarmouth's wizard hotel to appear on Four in a Bed
- 8 Church glamping pod plan on ice as £626,000 funding bid awaits approval
- 9 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 10 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
“We are doing ok. We are just waiting for things to happen, we have so much young talent,” enthused Daniels senior.
“We are a good club, very well-run with a good committee and chairman. We are all doing our best.”
After being three strikers short against Long Melford, he hoped to have a strong squad to pick from for what he thought would be a tough trip to Halstead tomorrow.
n All the latest Gorleston FC news on page 54.